C18 keel pin hole repair

slam
Captain

C18 keel pin hole repair

Postby slam » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:41 pm

Posted this on FB but no replies so....
OK maybe time to do the Keel pin fix. My pin seems to have no movement in the case at all but will that mean that it has already had the ply case section fixed at some stage ? Don Ray any thoughts? Secondly I noticed on the Forum that some advocated sleeving the keel pin hole with a nylon bush made by jamming in a piece of hard something and drilling to suit (has anyone here done it this way) but i figure that the life of that would have to be limited. Other than having a sleeve engineered to suit what about putting a waterproof bearing in the hole? is there any chance the pin is a uniform size ? Some also mentioned putting nylon sleeves either side of the pin in the case like a washer. to reduce load and give some added support for the pin assembly?? Please comment. Luka mentioned am article from the November 2016 newsletter but i don't have it and they aren't here either can anyone send it to me please?
Midnight CC18 441
Towed by a Mitsubishi challenger tdi pb.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing so much worth doing as messing around in boats."
(Ratty, The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Graham)

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Re: C18 keel pin hole repair

Postby byrdsworth » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:41 am

Hi Slam

I did as you described on The Byrd

see here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3002&p=22065&hilit=centre+board+repairs+report#p22065

it worked for me ... but there are plenty of other posts about it ...

it's a big job .... if you don't have movement maybe you can just remove the pin and inspect if there is any damage
then work out a plan from there

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

maxm
Old Fart

Re: C18 keel pin hole repair

Postby maxm » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:17 am

Hi Slam,

For what it's worth, the C22 keel drawings show the hole in the keel is sleeved with delrin. Could be worth looking into if you're thinking of nylon. You'll find the drawings on this site here http://www.careel.com/docs/C22-KeelStuff.pdf down near the bottom.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Return to “Technical Articles”