hydraulic keel raising Question

byrdsworth
Old Fart

hydraulic keel raising Question

Postby byrdsworth » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:35 am

Hi

finally getting out on My MK 111 this weekend coming

The boat has been sitting for a couple of months will I've been doing a few jobs to it
and was sitting idle for a while before I got it as far as I can tell

The hydraulic pump release knob has been loose and now I have tightened it

Do I need to pump it until it is firm before launching ? seems to be taking a fair few pumps to get firm :roll:

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

don47
Old Fart

Re: hydraulic keel raising Question

Postby don47 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:13 pm

Both Cook & Trotter have your exact same system Paul & may be your best early contact re your hydraulics.
Don.

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Hiya Mr Bryds,

I think that the C18 hydraulics are pretty much the same as the C22 hydraulics, at least in principle. In which case yes you do. The hydraulics hold the keel in the up position so if you launch when the hydraulics are not firm then as soon as you launch, the keel will drop. Embarrassing at best. :oops:

My hydraulics have always taken quite a few pumps (maybe 10 or 20) before it feels like it is doing anything and it seems to vary for no obvious reason that I've ever noticed.

Also, if you don't do it already then be sure that when the boat is on the trailer you release the hydraulics so that the keel drops onto the trailer and the trailer is taking the weight. KII's previous owner told me he had several hydraulics failures before he cottoned onto that one.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:16 am

Thanks Max

all makes sense ...

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

Mark III Amigo
Old Fart

Postby Mark III Amigo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:41 pm

Byrdman - will we still call you that when you depart ways with the Byrd? Or will Sky Mist be renamed to a feathered variation...

On the hydraulic question - mine feels like it is working from the first pump.

As discussed yesterday, there might be air in the system which needs to be bled out. I'd google bleed hydraulic brakes for the method.

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:05 am

Mark III Amigo wrote:Byrdman - will we still call you that when you depart ways with the Byrd? Or will Sky Mist be renamed to a feathered variation...

There maybe a feathered option yet ... who knows ... but it would be weird if you guys started calling me Paul :shock: :shock:

Mark III Amigo wrote:
On the hydraulic question - mine feels like it is working from the first pump.

As discussed yesterday, there might be air in the system which needs to be bled out. I'd google bleed hydraulic brakes for the method.

The manufacturer of the hydraulic system is Fleet Hydrol ... they are still operating in Sydney ... there is a sticker on the tank with their name
so I rang them and they suggested that it was probably just low on oil ... however they also suggested that I clean the tank and hose with kero and replace the oil with new oil ... and change the inline filter ...

I will be attempting this soon and will keep you posted

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:25 am

Byrds, did they mention what oil to refill the hydraulics with? I've been told that motor vehicle auto transmission fluid will do the job but it'd be nice to have that confirmed. Based on this thread, it's probably time for me to replace mine.

As for the bleeding method, there's a small bleed nipple on the ram. I guess it's a matter of undoing that a bit and then pump the pump. I'm an expert on this now for hydraulic trailer brakes :(
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:35 am

Hi Max

I asked about bleeding the system and he said that I wouldn't have to bleed it.

He said use 10 grade hydraulic oil ... or the oil used for air tools
it needs to be fairly fine grade apparently

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

Postby paul trotter » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Just found this post Mr Byrd...too busy looking at the facebook sites.

I have had only one problem with the hydraulic pump system and that was with the little wheel next to the pump. It became loose on the shaft and had to be tightened with an alan key.

I get in the habit of......

When she has gone on the trailer loosening the whek so the keel drops on the rollers but then immediatly re-tightening. That way she is still good for launching next time around and.....

After I let the CB down I re-tighten again so she is in theory locked in position. Otherwise the CB will be rolling up and down at186kgs and smashing your keel case.

I need to get some more fluid for my tank.
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

Postby paul trotter » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Just found this post Mr Byrd...too busy looking at the facebook sites.

I have had only one problem with the hydraulic pump system and that was with the little wheel next to the pump. It became loose on the shaft and had to be tightened with an alan key.

I get in the habit of......

When she has gone on the trailer loosening the wheel so the keel drops on the rollers but then immediatly re-tightening. That way she is still good for launching next time around and.....

After I let the CB down I re-tighten again so she is in theory locked in position. Otherwise the CB will be rolling up and down at186kgs and smashing your keel case.

I need to get some more fluid for my tank.
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:13 pm

So I did the oil change today

I removed the tank and emptied it and cleaned it with kero
also changed the inline filter and cleaned the out the small clear hose that returns to the top of the tank
the oil that came out of the tank was very old and dirty looking also there wasn't much in the tank ... compared to what I put back in

I got a fuel filter from repco
and 2 litres of hydraulic jack oil from super cheap auto (only because repco had none in stock)
put every thing back together and put a litre of the oil into the tank
then pumped it up til it was firm and released the knob ... kept adding oil and repeating the process until the tank was around 3/4 full
and it only takes a couple of pumps to firm up the system.

clear as mud !!!

Just needs a full test next time I go out

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

Luka
Old Fart

Postby Luka » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:53 pm

Just seeing this topic now.
I needed an oil top up this time last year so I called up "Fleet Hydrol" in Brookvale who installed the systems in the C18's.
There advice was use ISO Grade 12 Hydraulic fluid, which I obtained from them but you could get from anywhere.

ps, the fluid I bought boat was clear, but that in my reservoir was blue. They told me that in days gone by a dye was added to hydraulic fluid to identify the differing grades and I could just add the new fluid to top up.
Luka
C18-466 / Druthers

Return to “Technical Articles”