Light Board and Registration Plate

Ensign

Light Board and Registration Plate

Postby 121 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:23 pm

Hi,

Of those amongst you who use one of the modern plastic light boards, usually about 1.5 or 1.8 metres long, readily available from various boating stores, and often 'hung' from the back of the boat (as I am intending) rather than attached to the trailer, is there any reason the registration plate should not be attached to the light board?

Also, if ok to be attached, is it ok to just drill through the plastic 'board' (which is hollow) with a standard cordless drill in order to make the necessary bolt holes, provided care is taken to miss the wires running inside, or is some other approach preferable?

Thanks.

Ukuri
Old Fart

Re: Light Board and Registration Plate

Postby Ukuri » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:42 pm

121 wrote:Hi,

Of those amongst you who use one of the modern plastic light boards, usually about 1.5 or 1.8 metres long, readily available from various boating stores, and often 'hung' from the back of the boat (as I am intending) rather than attached to the trailer, is there any reason the registration plate should not be attached to the light board?

Also, if ok to be attached, is it ok to just drill through the plastic 'board' (which is hollow) with a standard cordless drill in order to make the necessary bolt holes, provided care is taken to miss the wires running inside, or is some other approach preferable?

Thanks.

No
and
Yes.

Ensign

Postby 121 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:44 am

Thanks UKuri.

Woz
Captain

Postby Woz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:38 pm

If the registration plate is not attached to the light board it will need a seperate number plate light to illuminate it at night.

[i]13.5 Rear Registration Plate (Number Plate) Lamp This lamp(s) illuminates the space reserved for the rear registration plate. Presence: Must be fitted. Number: At least 1 (note that some lamps may only have been approved for fitment as a pair). Arrangement: At the rear and so that the rear registration plate is illuminated. No light is to be directed rearwards. Electrical Connections: Must operate with front position (if fitted), rear position, end-outline (if fitted) and side-marker (if fitted) lamps.

Extract taken from Building Small Trailers - Vehicle Standards Bulletin 1

I have led trailer lights fixed on the trailer and have had no problems with them, just keep them clean and check every so often. I also made a light board from an aluminum slat from Bunnings and some Led trailer lights that clip/cable tie onto the pushpit rail, and ran the wiring to a separate light plug on the winch post.

I use this extra light board if I am towing long distances or at night so the back of the boat is lit up like a Christmas tree and very easily seen.

PM me if you want some photos.

Warwick
(Woz)
C18 #226

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:25 am

Woz wrote:I have led trailer lights fixed on the trailer and have had no problems with them, just keep them clean and check every so often. I also made a light board from an aluminum slat from Bunnings and some Led trailer lights that clip/cable tie onto the pushpit rail, and ran the wiring to a separate light plug on the winch post.

I've got exactly the same arrangement - LEDs on the trailer plus light board on the pushpit rail - except I used a standard light board from Whitworths for the back of the boat with the number plate on that, which means I always need to carry it. I like that I have lights low (for small cars, etc) and high (for trucks).
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Ensign

Postby 121 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:15 pm

maxm and Woz, thanks for that, two sets of lights sounds good for safety, and it shouldn't take too much longer to have to take both of them off at the ramp, even if I do have to scramble along the trailer low down again to clear out the cable for the lower one.

Woz, I will PM you, as I do not understand how two sets of lights can be concurrently connected and operational. Some photos wold be a great help.

Thanks,

Geoffrey.

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:13 pm

Geoffrey,

For the ones on the trailer, you can get waterproof LEDs that can stay permanently attached. Mine are screwed into the rear of the mud guards. That way, the only wiring that needs to be set up and removed at the ramp is the light board up high. Like Woz, my light board plugs into a plug at the winch post and the cable runs over the boat so there's no rooting around down low in the dirt.

How that's done is fairly easy - you just run the wiring from a main plug at the front of the trailer to a socket on the winch post. Each pin in that socket has TWO wires running from it - the one from the main plug and another that runs through to the low LED lights on the mud guards. The socket effectively becomes a T junction.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Return to “Technical Articles”