Anchor holder

Ensign

Anchor holder

Postby 121 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:55 am

I realise that the original post from Ivana in the general section is from a decade ago, but can anyone enlighten me as to what the "Paul D anchor holder special" (from Bunnings) might be?

Also, has anyone else got a nifty idea for storing either the main or stern anchors so that they will not be in the way of anything too much, but can still be deployed reasonably quickly in the absence of an anchor well in a mark 1 18

Thanks, 121.

paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

Re: Anchor holder

Postby paul trotter » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:59 pm

Cookie had a trusty red square bucket! I reckon a harpoon gun would work well mounted in the bow pulpit with rope back to the forward hatch!

Cookies set up always made me angry.....not sure of a viable alternative. The anchor well works brilliantly.
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

Ensign

Postby 121 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:47 am

Thanks Paul,

I wouldn't trust myself with a harpoon gun, so maybe something like a tool bag is the way to go, something with a handle that can fit most if not all the anchor and rode, and be easily carried up from below.

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:11 am

For the forward anchor mine lives on the bow roller with a clip to hold it in place. My stern anchor and the rode all lives in a plastic tray thing. Some shock cord holds it together and it's stored in the cabin under the cockpit.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Ensign

Postby 121 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:55 pm

Thanks maxm, the plastic tray idea gives me another option to think over for the stern anchor.

Unfortunately the shank of the new Cooper anchor I have wont fit into the bow roller as there is not enough available width due to the proximity of the furler. Over time I will try to think of how a suitable adjustment might be made.

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:14 am

This is my set up for the anchor

I just keep the anchor in the cockpit locker and attach it when needed. works pretty well
sometimes it can be a rush back to the cockpit ... but generally it's ok.

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

Drifter
Captain

Postby Drifter » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:04 pm

I was impressed by your setup Byrds! My setup is rather simple as sometimes I am single handed (and not great at it). I don't have the anchor locker either and having an early but firm boat hate drilling holes anywhere! I have tried the whole run up to the bow, deploy anchor, run back to idling outboard and try to regain control etc and found it is far simpler to keep bow and stern anchors stored in cockpit lockers (one in each so they are not mixed up) with the rode wound up on an electrical cable drum for storage. When anchoring it is simply a matter of deploy bow anchor off stern (outside rails) and on opposite side the outboard, set anchor as you approach shore to reduce speed and set anchor and then creep to shore. Step off bow to shore with stern anchor. Then hand spin boat or pull on bow anchor out in water to turn boat stern to beach and make lines fast. A bit complex but seems to work for the few times I tried it. Good luck with it.

Return to “Technical Articles”