cockpit floor water ingress

Mango
Captain

cockpit floor water ingress

Postby Mango » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:08 pm

Hi technical gurus, on the cockpit floor of my Careel Mark One I have two of the round white opening deck ports. I have been trying to trace why there is a large amount of water accumulating under the cockpit floor when it rains and have discovered that the seal has failed around both ports allowing water to leak through. The big concern is that the water has invaded the ply within the fibreglass sandwich of the cockpit floor making the ply soft and squishy around the ports. Although I can seal around the ports to stop the leakage I don't know how to address the weakening of the floor and the existing water within the flooring. Any advice appreciated. Thanks Mango

No Way
Old Fart

Re: cockpit floor water ingress

Postby No Way » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:04 pm

Can you post a pic. For the life of me why would someone fit ports to the cockpit floor. Its gotta be the the riskiest place other than the bottom of the boat.
That said the ply in the cockpit floor is 5/16" plus it has 19x19 ribs across the underside. The only way to get rid of the soggy ply properly is to cut it out - from the underside. I'm guessing that you don't want to turn the boat upside down - the only comfortable way to work on it.
To do the job from the top involves a big cosmetic job after the fix especially since you'll have to cut the non-skid pattern but then some sort of "feature" after you have repaired the rot and infilled the port holes might be the go? It would still require some work from underneath and that's not a "look forward to job"
Another way that we fixed spongy cabin roofs was to drill 3mm holes and syringe epoxy resin into the void(mushy ply). this would require that you remove the ports to get the ply completely dry - hot blower or similar.If its not 100% dry you are wasting your time. The 3mm holes in the non-skid are fairly easy to disguise afterward.
If you do reseal and refit ports flex is your enemy forever.
Good luck

Drifter
Captain

Postby Drifter » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:47 pm

Hi all,

After a 2-3 day cruise on my careel 18 (mkI) i noticed when packing up on the trailer a significant amount of water accumulating in the bunk lockers from trapped water under the false floor. I have been progressively sponging the water out and have removed about 6 litres of water over the past 4 days allowing it to recollect each day on the lower lockers with the boat and trailer on a sideways tilt. I am concerned this won't empty all the water and I am considering mounting a small flush mounted stainless steel bung on each side of the keel case to allow the water to be pumped out and to allow for the area to dry completely as well as to be able to monitor this whilst on the water. I know it's probably a pivot pin issue which I will tackle but not right now as I don't have thetime to deal with this right now but want to remove the water. It is salt water as I have tasted it! Thanks everyone for your help with this stressful issue!

Cheers,
Ben

Woz
Captain

Postby Woz » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:24 am

Ben

One solution that has been discussed on this forum is to fit inspection ports in the false floor in front of the mast support post and near the rear of the keel case. This will allow you to look inside as well as allowing some through ventilation under the floor and make it easier to drain the water out.

A search on this forum should give you some more ideas.

On my boat the lockers under the bunks are sealed from the void under the false floor.

Warwick
(Woz) C12#226

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:08 pm

Looks like Mango Madness is a movie star! Check out this excellent in depth video covering the repairs to the cockpit floor to replace the spongy plywood.

https://youtu.be/J38mfdHIFUY
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Woz
Captain

Postby Woz » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:57 pm

What a fantastic and neat job.

Warwick
(Woz) C18#226

No Way
Old Fart

Postby No Way » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:12 am

One really wonders why there is inspection ports in the floor at all. If the cockpit floor has no penetrations there is no way the ply can rot.
Interesting to note the Pacific Maple/Meranti ribs are intact. As a builder you see the stuff rot everywhere.

Return to “Technical Articles”