Bilge pump outlet

Camel
Petty Officer

Bilge pump outlet

Postby Camel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:15 pm

I have a Careel 22 and wish to fit a bilge pump and interested in where people mount the hand pump, pick up and most importantly the position of the outlet as I hate putting holes in boats. Look forward to your feedback, Thanks.

maxm
Old Fart

Re: Bilge pump outlet

Postby maxm » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:15 pm

Hi Camel,

Agree, I don't much like the idea of holes going into the cabin. You could think about mounting the pump inside a cockpit locker and for the outlet just have a length of flexible hose coiled up in there. When in use you'd hang the outlet hose over the side and start pumping. I had this arrangement on my keel boat and it seemed like it would work OK. The hose took up some room in the locker but was manageable.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Camel
Petty Officer

Postby Camel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:50 pm

Thanks Max, unfortunately to race in the local club I was told I could not hang the hose over the side, my thoughts about putting pump in locker is the same but means putting extra holes in, I considered putting it just inside companionway and pickup just behind keel box and put outlet just above deck mould in rear cockpit area. Apparently handle has to be accessed from cockpit.

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:47 pm

Yeah, my C22 has that kind of setup installed by the previous owner for exactly that reason - to comply with racing rules. Never used so far touch wood! :D

The pump is installed in the cockpit seat riser (ie the vertical bit of the seat) opposite the hydraulic pump. The pump handle is removable and lives in the adjacent cockpit locker. Overall, this isn't too bad as it doesn't get in anyone's way. The inlet hose hangs down under the cockpit (which is where water would probably collect) and isn't fixed so it could be moved around to collect water if needs be. The bit I don't like is the outlet - in the cabin under the cockpit and through the stern above the water line. While that through-hull has never been a problem, still I'd prefer not to have a hole going into the cabin unless it had a sea valve on it.

I think if I was installing one I'd try to organise the plumbing to go through the cockpit locker and through the transom there. That way, if the hose falls off the through hull fitting, at least the water is only going in to the cockpit, not the cabin and is accessible. Mind you, this is all theory. I haven't had a chance to check the boat to see if this would actually work.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

Camel
Petty Officer

Postby Camel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:23 pm

Thanks max for your suggestions, might have a bit more of a look at it with your ideas and also see if someone else has some ideas, I had a suggestion by a very experienced careeler who said his goes into the keel box but a chat to a boat trade person was a little against that idea suggesting that while traveling fast there would be a positive pressure in keel box, he also suggested a one way valve and suggested to ask here for some ideas, I just hope I put it where I won't change my mind. I think all ideas are good but I hate putting holes in the boat,

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:10 pm

The keel case had never occurred to me but I thik it's a great idea! In my boat, the sink empties into the keel case. No need for a seacock because if water is up to the level that it's coming up the sink plughole then there's not much left to go before it's coming in the companionway. You'd need to make sure that any fittings aren't going to interfere with the hydraulics or keel but that's just a simple case of taking the table top off.

Not sure about the positive pressure... if you're taking on enough water to warrant pumping, would you be sailing that fast? There's a shelf below the hydraulic ram in the keel case to stop most of the splash.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

Return to “Technical Articles”