Pivot pin / keel house advice

Careeler
Petty Officer

Pivot pin / keel house advice

Postby Careeler » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:21 pm

Hi everyone,

have been reading the posts in regards to keel overhaul and would like your opinions on what the best approach would be for my boat.
After having the boat for around five months and taking it out to Corio bay and learning how to sail from fellow form member Mickeymud who has been a great teacher and good company.

After doing all the little jobs such as replacing the ropes with spectra and redoing the motor mount as the ply had rotten away it was time to take on the big one, the keel case and the pivot pin.

I removed the table and found the 20mm centreboard with some rust but not looking to bad although the bronze sheave is not rotating anymore.
The gelcoat felt smooth as well although it has a few scratches. The keel seem to be painted green, was that the original color or did someone already took it out and repainted it?

The sides where the pivot pin is had a small layer off glass and some sikaflex, after removing these I found the slightly rusted pivot pin, would someone know of this was the original setup?

I thought it wasn't too bad and took it out for a sail yesterday only to find that there was water coming through the hole I created by removing the sikaflex seal. It was quite a bit and went back to the ramp, later on I removed 3 buckets of water.

Today I wanted to find out if water had come into the void as well, there did not seem to be any water where the porta potty could go.
Then I drilled a hole when you enter the cockpit on the port side of the keel case, this seems to be completely dry as well.
I did notice the lower part of the keel case feeling a bit colder. what would be the best place to check for any water in the void?

Around the pivot pin on the portside the ply has become soft and was easily scraped away the star board side seemed much better.
What would be the best way to go from here?

Attached are a few pictures to give you an idea of what it looks like
The attachment centreboard.jpg is no longer available
portside.jpg
Port side
portside.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 1215 times
starboard.jpg
Star board
starboard.jpg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 1215 times

No Way
Old Fart

Re: Pivot pin / keel house advice

Postby No Way » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:59 pm

Centreboards were Hot dipped galvanised initially and later zinc sprayed and unshaped so anything different is an after-market job.
If the ply reinforcing in the side of the centre case is rotten/mushy its gotta go. Logically remove as little as possible but as the ply extends below the floor line and gravity says that is where the water will go it marequire removal of the floor. From there on there are a number of fixes covered in this forum suffice to say water-tightness and serviceability are required.

Careeler
Petty Officer

Update #1

Postby Careeler » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:59 pm

After reading all the information on the forum i decided that i would not touch the fiberglass as i am not familiar with it however the process does not seem to hard.
I found a fiberglass company that removed the centerboard and will glass the new pin back in. The CB case is in good condition and only some of the surrounding ply will be removed.

So far i have had some mixed advise in how to put it back in place

option 1:
- Ply around the pivot pin removed
- Fill this with glass
- drill a new hole
- new pivot pin 9cm instead of 6cm
- glass the ends to seal it from water
Would last something like 20 year

option 2:
- Ply around the pivot pin removed
- Create a nylon bush
- glass in the bush
- use a bolt or pin and seal it at the ends
- No need to do any glass maintenance ever?

Also a bush in the centerboard was advised either nylon or SS, i would say nylon would be the best solution?
Any advise, information or comments are welcome.

The next step would be the centerboard, attached some pictures did not look to bad after 40 year :)
Hopefully in the next update a shiny centerboard

cb1a.jpg
cb1a.jpg (143.67 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
cb2a.jpg
cb2a.jpg (123.53 KiB) Viewed 1083 times

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:20 pm

Hi careeler

it's a sh!t of a job ... but worth doing

Looks like you have a similar situation to me ... with not much rot in the ply

check out my thread on how I did it (if you haven't already)

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3002&p=22065&hilit=centre+board+repairs+report#p22065

Just take your time ... and it should all go ok

cheers
byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:03 pm

Hey Mr Byrdsworth,

I have one of those multi-tools (the kind that you fit a blade on to and it whizzes back and forth, reciprocating at high speed). I used mine to help pull up floor tiles and clean them and the floor up before re-tiling. Do you think a tool like that would help with a centerboard reglassing operation? The tools are fairly easy to find these days and not too expensive either.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:01 am

maxm wrote:Hey Mr Byrdsworth,

I have one of those multi-tools (the kind that you fit a blade on to and it whizzes back and forth, reciprocating at high speed). I used mine to help pull up floor tiles and clean them and the floor up before re-tiling. Do you think a tool like that would help with a centerboard reglassing operation? The tools are fairly easy to find these days and not too expensive either.

hey Max

Probably would be good for cutting through the glass around the pin

I actually used one of those to cut out my ceiling liner when I did that job ... was good because it didn't create much dust

talking about sh!ts of jobs ... wouldn't wish that on anyone

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

Careeler
Petty Officer

Centreboard update

Postby Careeler » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:31 pm

Centreboard is ready!

Putting it all back together will be done by a boat builder, hopefully it will be ready soon with the Victorian weather getting better :D

cb2.jpg
cb2.jpg (134.9 KiB) Viewed 994 times

Careeler
Petty Officer

Ready for the water!

Postby Careeler » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:38 pm

The boat is ready again :)
1.jpg
1.jpg (88.24 KiB) Viewed 876 times

2.jpg
2.jpg (92.84 KiB) Viewed 876 times

3.jpg