Battery placement in Careel 18

fair winds
Petty Officer

Battery placement in Careel 18

Postby fair winds » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:36 am

I'm slowly getting familiar with my new boat and I have been doing some reading of the website to get some ideas. I hope to have it in the water next week end - having fun arranging the registration of the boat and trailer in NSW - even though I have all the current Qld registration papers, I still have to get a trailer weighbridge ticket, "Blue" slip etc as NSW Maritime won't accept the Qld registration details.
With respect to the battery - "Linda Lass" has a battery located in a battery box which has been located under the starbaord cockpit seat. It is not restrained and I am concerned it will move about with the boat movements. Looking suggestions in terms of best battery locations and methods to secure it.
thanks,

don47
Old Fart

Re: Battery placement in Careel 18

Postby don47 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:17 pm

I have always relocated battery in pvc box up forward in old loo position.
It's out of sight & gives a bit more weight forward as well.
Secure it as you see fit with strapping or direct fix to wall perhaps closest to Sampson post.
Don.

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:44 pm

While we're talking batteries... many (most?) people go for the biggest lead/acid marine battery they can. Instead of this can I suggest getting two smaller gel batteries instead. The advantages are that the gel batteries are maintenance free, no potential acid spills so no need for a battery box, if one goes bung in the middle of a trip then chances are you'll still be able to make do with the other one, easier to get in and out of the boat (although you may need to make two trips), it's easier to find smaller spots around the boat to mount them in, you can spread the weight, if they do come adrift then their lighter weight means they'd probably do less damage. You will end up with less amp hours for the same money but I think the other advantages outweigh that.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:09 pm

Hi
I have my battery in a battery box that sits in plastic tub that slides under the cockpit floor
I can plug and unplug the battery from the system as it is a home made powerpack that I can take camping etc

"Linda Lass" is that a mk 3 ? .. I went for a sail with a boat by that name a couple of years ago

see this thread ... viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3173

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

Drifter
Captain

Postby Drifter » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:44 pm

Hi everyone,

Thought it best to post here than set up a new thread. I have a AGM 18AH deep cycle REMCO VRLA battery that came with my boat which has worked fairly well but I have always been worried of it running out of juice on cruises. I have little power draw with a LED cabin light and the nav lights (not sure if they are LED) as well as charging phones and an auto pilot. I recently had my car battery (sealed lead acid battery) die on me for starting the car however it looks to still work fine but just wont come up with the surge to start the car so got a new battery for the car. I was thinking of using my old car battery to suppliment my power. Does anyone know if it is ok to join a VRLA deep cycle battery and a sealed car battery together in parallel or if it is an issue as they are different styles of battery? My car battery would have about 80 AH which I would suspect would be plenty for cruises. The other option I am considering is to separate the batteries with the deep cycle battery for the lights and the car battery for the auto pilot or vice versa but this seems a little too complex for such simple power needs. I also have an 18W solar panel and regulator which works well to keep the 18AH battery supplimented on cruises (weather depending) but not sure if this is suitable to split between both batteries for charging (even though it is a trickle charge). Sorry for the long winded question.

Cheers,
Ben

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:47 am

Ben, if your car battery is dodgy then you might be able to use it on its own but I wouldn't connect it to any other battery of any type because if there's a dead cell in the car battery then it can suck all the power out of any other batteries connected to it. Does it put out near 13V? You'd need that for the tiller pilot and any other electronics. LEDs tolerate a fairly wide range of voltages so it might be better to use the car battery for those.

As for mixing AGM and FLA (or SLA) batteries - I don't know is the short answer. The longer answer is that I suspect it is not a good idea to connect them in parallel as they could have different internal resistence which, again, could cause one battery to drain the other one.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Mark III Amigo
Old Fart

Postby Mark III Amigo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:59 am

Good advice from Max. Car batteries have thinner plates designed to charge and discharge quickly for those hundreds short bursts to start your car. Really not suitable or designed for long slow discharges which you need to run lights etc. The AGM has thicker plates designed for that. Your car battery is dead and it will happily also drain your AGM and kill it if you connect them.

Drifter
Captain

Postby Drifter » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:36 am

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will definitely not join them based on what you have said and also the research I have done however am almost certain that my old car battery will have a far greater capacity than the 18AH battery I have as I also don't know how old the 18AH is or how good it's condition is. Originally my car battery had about 90 AH according to the manufacturer so I guessing it would have somewhere around 30-60 AH capacity now but will get it checked at a battery world shop. I think I will get a battery box for my old car battery and use it as the primary battery and see how it goes. Seems nice to be able to reuse it in this way. Will probably still carry the 18AH for a few cruises as a back up. I always take the battery off the boat and leave them connected to my solar panel at home to keep them tickle charged all the time and have a car battery charger trickle charging the car battery all the time although it usually shows that it is fully charged. Thanks everyone for your help!

Cheers,
Ben
'Drifter'

Return to “Technical Articles”