C18 Pootank

crestwoody
Petty Officer

C18 Pootank

Postby crestwoody » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:02 pm

Hi, I am considering whether to fit a pumpout poo-tank to my C18.
What is involved? has it been done? Any clues please.

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Re: C18 Pootank

Postby byrdsworth » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi
a small porta potti is usually the way to go ...

most 18's have the pump out toilet removed

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:29 pm

A lot of C18s had pumpout loos installed under the v-berth. These typically flushed the loo directly overboard via through-hulls. Height in under there is an issue and you'd probably find not many of the modern loos would fit. They need two through-hulls with ball valves in case the plumbing springs a leak.

More importantly, these days strictly speaking you're not supposed to flush overboard until you''re more than about 3 nautical miles offshore. That's a bit of a trip just to use the facilities! So that then means you need a y-valve and holding tank plus plumbing for a pumpout. Oh yeah, and you really should have a vent (ie a thin tube going up through the deck) so that gases can escape otherwise you risk your holding tank filling up with putrid gas and pressure building until something pops. Not nice inside the cabin.

So a fair bit of plumbing all up. And after you've done all that you'll find that public pumpouts where you can empty the holding tank are few and far between in most places.

A chemical toilet (Porta Potti) is the way most people go. Again, height under the v-verth is still an issue so be careful to measure up to make sure whatever you get will fit and typically you'll be looking at the smallest sized potties if you want to avoid making modifications. Some owners have gone to the trouble to make mods so as to carry a bigger loo but I know others who have chosen to just store the loo under the cockpit instead.

By the way... for anyone reading this with an original C18 pumpout loo they are looking to replace.... DON'T throw the old one away! I'm told they are worth money at second hand boat bits places.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:42 pm

I have a 10 litre potti ... and it fits nicely under the cockpit floor just beside the keel case
put a removable false floor in behind the keelcase so it sits level ... then just slide it out for use
there is alot more head room there

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

crestwoody
Petty Officer

Postby crestwoody » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:25 am

Thanks for the prompt responses.
I should have mentioned that it currently has an ocean flushing system.
I assumed that all Careel's would be fitted out same same.
I think I will heed the advice and steer towards a porta potti.
regards

Return to “Technical Articles”