C22 Mast Stepping

helen
Land Lubber

C22 Mast Stepping

Postby helen » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:54 pm

I have a fixed keel c22 and in the 10 years I have had Silkie I have had no need to drop or raise the mast.
However Jib Halyard is now at the top of the mast and the Marine Ply underneath the bottom of the mast is rotting.
I intend to undertake the lowering at the RANSA dock in rushcutters bay sydney and I assume 2 people will be sufficient.
Steps
Push the mast forrad and unhook the forestays.
One person pushes the mast to the transom from the forrad side of the mast in an astride position.
One person in the cockpit ready to catch the mast as it lowers.

It would appear to be useful to run a line from the base of the forstay through the anchor pullley and back round a winch so the person in the cockpit can control the lowering.

Just seen Maxm's article on dropping 22 mast forrad, not aft as I have assumed. ? Can it be done either way.???

A device at the rear to rest the mast on once it is lowered.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

maxm
Old Fart

Re: C22 Mast Stepping

Postby maxm » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:07 pm

I'm not sure if they used the same tabernacle on the fixed keelers as on the swing keelers but I'd bet they did. David Rose never struck me as keen on re-engineering things that he thought already worked well! In which case your mast would only lower forward towards the bow. So the steps you mention wouldn't work. The way I expect you'd need to go about it is

1. Undo the backstay from the backstay bridle (or else undo the bridle from the transom if needs be).
  2. Attach a safety line to it. You can run this to one of the winches and have an assistant pay that out. If you have a pushpit rail, you can run the safety line from the backstay, around that to a winch otherwise you'd need to rig up a turning block at the transom somewhere
  3. Undo both rear lower shrouds. The mast is now free to pivot on the tabernacle. It has an over center hinge so shouldn't fall unless bumped or rocked but the safety line is a must if you're not on solid, level ground. And even if you are!
  4. Stand forard of the mast and pull it towards you. Walk backwards towards the bow going hand over hand, lowering the mast. You will find that it is heavy towards the end but should be manageable by one person. If in doubt, have a second assistant beside you helping you. Again, the safety line will help here as that assistant can take a good part of the load.
  5. Once you have it down it's just a matter of removing the pin at the tabernacle and then one person each end picking it up and walking it aft. Or if you have a roller on your pulpit, you can just grab the bottom and walk it there single handed

I weighed my mast plus all fittings in at approximately 25kg so that'll give you some idea. I have put my mast up and down alone many times and I'm no Arnie but the fixed keeler mast should be a little bit longer (I think another foot from memory) and so has more weight and leverage so take precautions. You definitely don't want to drop it!
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

helen
Land Lubber

Postby helen » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:24 pm

Thanks seems pretty clear and succinct. I have the feeling that the mast can go either way but will check it out this weekend. Many Thanks

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:50 pm

helen wrote:Thanks seems pretty clear and succinct. I have the feeling that the mast can go either way but will check it out this weekend. Many Thanks

The mast foot should have a pin going through the forard edge that will prevent it pivoting in any direction other than forward. You could remove that as a first step of course in which case it will probably go in any direction.

All the best with your renovations and please keep us updated. Silkie is a boat that's well known to those of us who have been on this site for a while. She was well loved by her former owner and it's great to see her being looked after.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

helen
Land Lubber

Postby helen » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:25 pm

Mast down with no damage.
Mast pin at Base did not preclude rear dropping but if dropped to the rear would have damaged cabin roof. I unhitched from rear bridle and attacked rope from backstay thru pulley on tiller above transom and then to winch.
After undoing lower rear shrouds. (forard lower and upper shrouds and forestay were untouched) I found that I had to pull on forestay to rock the mast past the vertical. A friend was also pulling the mast forard at the time.
Lowering the mast went smoothly till almost down when the base of the mast pulled free of the rotting plywood block. It was held down by 4 screws which popped. The mast but not my friend went in the water but was retrieved easily.
Next time I will attach the boom to the mast and attach the rope and the back stay to the rear of the boom. This should reduce the extreme pressure at the base attachment when the mast is near horizontal.
Am renewing all rigging including replacing wire halyards and all sheets. Silkie will not be sailing till late december.
Will add more including photos when I have the mast up again.

The Mast with the Rigging was a handful and certainly heavier the suggested.

helen
Land Lubber

Postby helen » Sun May 21, 2017 7:01 pm

Silkie has been sailing since early this year. Took me a long tine to step the mast. I replaced all stays, steel halyards w Dyema line, and new sheets. The mast is now stepped on a Nylon Block, same dimensions as the original Plywood block. I was delayed by having to strengthen soft spots in the fiberglass sandwich particularly on Transom and stay attachment positions.
The actual stepping was simply solved by using a pipe A frame with vertical height some 6ft longer than Fulcrum of Mast. The frame was anchored either side of the mast block and roped fore and aft. The main sheet pulleys were used to lift the mast at its fulcrum till it was high enough to swivel down and attach at the base. In retrospect this approach would also have made dropping the mast much easier.

Mango
Captain

Postby Mango » Sun May 21, 2017 10:27 pm

Hi Helen, I didn't realise Silkie is a C22. I sail at RANSA on Sylvara with Dave Giddings and occasionally have my C18 mark 1 Mango Madness alongside at RANSA (last time was Pirates Day).

Cheers,

John

Return to “Technical Articles”