Leaking Roof - C18

Woz
Captain

Leaking Roof - C18

Postby Woz » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:41 pm

After coping a hiding with the rain today (225mm in 24 hrs) I have drained 2 litres of water out of the boat. I have found the roof is leaking between the inner and outer skin join and the hull deck join.

I had a small tarp over the cabin top from the mast step to half way along the cockpit and found water had entered the cabin. The deck fittings on the cabin top have only been installed/ reinstalled recently (last 6 months and sealed with silkaflex) and the bolts below are dry. I can trace water runs fron around the front hatch join; where the cabin steps down and the hull deck join at the back of the quarter berth.

I have drilled some small holes in the inner lining, it is wet inside and there is some water seeping out.

The windows have not been touched yet, so maybe this is the problem.

Does anyone have any thoughts on a cause and how to rectify the problem?

Warwick
(Woz) C18 - 226

Mark III Amigo
Old Fart

Re: Leaking Roof - C18

Postby Mark III Amigo » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:31 am

Could be the hand rails on the cabin roof

Woz
Captain

Postby Woz » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:30 pm

I have removed the hand rails on the upper roof only recently, and resealed them with sikaflex. I do not have hand rails near the the front hatch.

I think the main cause of all the water in the boat is the windows need to be resealed, however this does not explain the roof space weeping. I have a small tarp over the front of the cabin so will check the boat when it stops raining, to see if there is any more water in it.

One thought I have been told is that the fibreglass could be porous from sitting in the sun for too long and the boat needs a good cut and polish to seal the fibreglass again. This would mean polishing the non skid areas on the deck and cabin roof which then leads to its own problems.

Filling the void with exoxy is another solution I have been told.

Any thoughts on the above or how to rectify the problem would be appreciated.

Warwick

No Way
Old Fart

Postby No Way » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:16 pm

Forget f/g porosity as an issue - in your case its a suggestion from someone who knows nothing about grp.
At 226 you would have only a partial head liner from memory so would look at front hatch then windows

Woz
Captain

Postby Woz » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:10 pm

Further investigating today has revealed the hull deck join is leaking and letting the water in, another two litres drained out and wet cushions.

I have searched posts in this forum on the topic and the best and easiest solution I think may be to drill the fibreglass join tape on the inside every couple of inches or so and pump silicone or sikaflex along the join, then run another length of fibreglass tape along the join inside.

Has anyone tried this? was it successful? or your thoughts on my solution to fix the problem would be appreciated.

Warwick
(Woz) C18-226

No Way
Old Fart

Postby No Way » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:46 pm

Woz
I did post a msg. about construction in the area of the hull/deck join sometime ago. Had a quick search but couldn't see it.
Bottom line hull/deck glued and pop-rivetted (for location only) and 3 strips of 600gm csm bridging the join on the inside. BUT the glass tape doesn't continue past the lockers, as they were fixed to deck before assembly and made access to the stern area impossible

mjames
Old Fart

Postby mjames » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Try here. I think every c18 has suffered from this problem.. I managed to fix it, here's a thread I did on it. May or May not help. Good luck.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1926&hilit=Leaking+gunnels
ex owner of C 18 194 Aeolian
Northshore 27 Turning Point

michael james

Woz
Captain

Postby Woz » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:41 pm

Thanks Michael

I have tried to remove the teak trim along the gunnel but it is stuck fast. My plan is to drill a series of holes on the inside where the fibreglass join tape is and pump sikaflex or similar into the hole until it is visible at the next one them continue to the end.

Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Warwick

Return to “Technical Articles”