New RudderAdvice

GlenH
Ensign

New RudderAdvice

Postby GlenH » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:48 pm

I need to build a new rudder (old one the worse for wear!). Plan on using the old one as a template and using two sheets of 18mm marine with 12 mm marine ply sandwiched on the inside. The aluminium swing blade is still in good order.
The question I have is how should I protect the marine ply? Does it need to be epoxied or just varnish? Presume that I would need to do the inside face prior to assembling the sandwich?
Is there any lessons that others have learnt when they have built one?
Glen H
'Maja Fun Too' C18/109

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Re: New RudderAdvice

Postby byrdsworth » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi Glenn

I made a new one a couple of years ago

I used 3 pieces of 12mm marine ply and added some strips where needed for the pintles etc

I also made it so it would swing up higher so ... make it easier to use the motor by itself if needed
and I made it so the tiller can swing up out of the way too

I gave it a coat of epoxy then a few coats of varnish ...the tiller only varnish

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

GlenH
Ensign

Postby GlenH » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Thanks for the advice Byrds. Yours looks very good. I also have cut mine so that is goes higher although possibly not quite as high as yours.
Glen H
'Maja Fun Too' C18/109

GlenH
Ensign

Postby GlenH » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:12 am

Thanks Byrds. I really appreciated the photos. I found that my rudder plate was in backwards. A past owner has obviously put it in back to front. Makes more sense the right way and works a lot better. The epoxy I used allowed me to do wet on wet coats over about 4 hours. I used 12mm marine ply in the centre and 18mm each side.
Next job are the bearings, they were fairly noisy the other weekend. Still has the 10" wheels so may have to bite the bullet and replace with 13"s
Cheers
Glen
Glen H
'Maja Fun Too' C18/109

Woz
Captain

Postby Woz » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:48 pm

Glen

I replaced the bearings in my trailer last weekend, and had to unbolt the axle and lift it off the spring to undo the brake assembly. (maybe something to watch out for.)

My bearings were pretty ordinary for having been replaced only two years ago just before I purchased it from the previous owner (The wheels have not been in the water at all)

For what its is worth, the wheel and tyres on my trailer are 14 inch light truck tyres and fit well within the guards.

Warwick
(Woz C18-228)

No Way
Old Fart

Postby No Way » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:08 pm

If you are using a "clam cleat" to hold the blade in the down position there is now a Clam Cleat which trips and releases the line if you hit something - like the bottom or a whale.. Is pressure adjustable and works an absolute treat

GlenH
Ensign

Postby GlenH » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:50 pm

Thanks Woz and NoWay, I have removed the wheels and axle today. The bearings were very bad and there were no marine seals at the rear. Off to the shop this week to spend some money!
Glen H
'Maja Fun Too' C18/109

Return to “Technical Articles”