Installing Jib roller furler and Mast Raising System on C22

Edwin Flynn
Old Fart

Installing Jib roller furler and Mast Raising System on C22

Postby Edwin Flynn » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:03 pm

Hello fellow Careelers,

In a previous post I was asked to place pictures of my mast raising system that also accomodates profurl or other mast type Genoa roller furler.

This system enables me to raise my mast with jib furler attached single handed.

1. The first thing that must be done is you must change the direction that the mast is raised. As we all know the C22 mast is designed to be raised from the bow towards the stern. This is a great system but it needs to be changed if you want to have a Profurl or similar mast type Jib furler.

To enable C22 mast to be raised from the stern you have to overcome the height of the hatch on the C22. This is done by raising the height of the mast step. I did this by making a stainless steel box and cutting the same exact length from the bottom of the mast to keep the mast overall height the same. This means that you do not have to change shrouds or other stays. ( See pitcure below)

Because I am height challenged I also made a Mast crane (similar to a tall mate). As with most things you will see in this post, it is telescopic so it takes less space when packed away. (Picture below)

I made the actual crane telescopic and I can also remove the rolling top to save space. The rollers are the same as found in roller blades. (picture below)

I than needed to make sure that as the mast is being raised it remains steady. This is particularly important as I now have the added weight of the Profurl jib furler on the mast.

The mast stabilisers are made from aluminium tubing. As I am a miser :twisted: for space I made them telescopic and they can remain attached to the hinges on the hatch along the hand grabs. They are out of the way until I want to use them. The stabiliser has a rubberised insert that uses the sail track. The stabiliser insert simply moves up or down the sail track as the mast is moved up or down. :idea: The track insert is also removable so that it can be stored away taking as little space as possible. (pictures below) 1st shows the stabiliser after mast is raised, the following pictures show the parts of the stabiliser.

This picture shows the top part of the stabiler bars being insterted into the sail track. Note that this part is able to be removed for storage

The picture below shows the top elevation of the mast tracker plate. Note it is slightly curved so that it can move up the sail track smoothly. IMPORTANT: If it is not shaped this way it will stick and will not work or worst still it may break and the mast will be free to sway from side to side.

Now for the Gin pole. This is used to attach the baby stay, or the secured Jib Halyard and the main sheet to raise the mast. I also tie the jib furler mast to the top end of the gin pole to keep it steady. Note the gin pole is steadied by small side stays.

Finally a comment about the jib furler.

I have suffered two broken or fouled forestays since first installing the roller furler. This problem has now been overcome by installing the "wheel" (seen in the last picture) to seperate the halyard from the furling mast. Thankfully I have always used the baby stay so there was never any really serious problems.

If anyone thinks of any improvements please let me know.
Ed
Wanton
C22/110

EDIT BY MOD: Fixed the links to external pictures
Last edited by Edwin Flynn on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail!!
The following is my club's web site which I authored. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed building it.
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com

anthrobruce
Ensign

Postby anthrobruce » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:51 pm

Thanks very much for your posting with JPG images.

I installed an aluminium furling spar on Whimsy C22/85 early in the year and had the old number 2 jib modified (including protection from the sun) to fit it. It works beautifully and is a pleasure to sail with.

At the time, I could leave the boat rigged on a hard stand, but now that the GFC has led me to bring her home, I face the problem of rigging whenever I want to launch and go out.

As it is, it takes two blokes to raise the mast plus a bucket on the bottom of the furler spar to protect it from abrasion while raising the mast.

Your system looks like a good solution - and an interesting project to do.

Best, Anthrobruce
Bruce Rigsby, Whimsy C22/85
32 Molonga Tce, Graceville, Qld 4075
brigsby@bigpond.net.au
(07)3379-8625

Edwin Flynn
Old Fart

Postby Edwin Flynn » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:29 pm

Bruce,

All the bits and pieces are available from Bunnings or any decent hardware store. All up should not cost more that $60 including the little roller blade wheels which you can buy from most toy stores.

Good luck with your project.

PS: The hinges can easily be made from the aluminium channels cut to size. You will have to make the bottom of the support slightly shorter on the inside. If you need pictures of the legs just holler.

ed
Wanton
C22/110
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail!!
The following is my club's web site which I authored. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed building it.

Bill AU
Captain

Postby Bill AU » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:26 pm

Hello Ed,

That's a pretty handy looking piece of equipment for raising and lowering the mast. I'm a novice to sailing and I'm getting to be a weee bit long in the tooth, so that mast raising/lowering rig would be pretty helpful to me :) I have just purchased Kittyhawk, a Careel 22, CA 018. I bought her from over your side of the bay, Frankston South.
Is there any chance I could get the measurements for all the pieces used in your mast raising/lowering rig, so that I could build the same thing for Kittyhawk?

Thanking you in advance for your advice.

Bill
Corio. Vic'.
Strangers are friends you have not yet met :)
New to me...My Careel 22, Kittyhawk

Edwin Flynn
Old Fart

Re Mast Raising

Postby Edwin Flynn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:22 am

Hello Bill,

I just spotted your request about mast raising on a Careel 22. Firstly congratulations on your purchase, you have just bought a truly fantastic boat.

I actually live in Sunbury in Victoria, not very far from you. I made my mast raising system like it is because I have installed a Jib furler on my boat, so I could not continue to raise my mast from the bow as you normally would with a C22.

If you raise your mast from the bow you can modify my system to suit yours. Just let me know your current set up and we can discuss. You may telephone me if you like, we are on the telephone directory.

Ed (Wanton C22/110)
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail!!

Bill AU
Captain

Re: Re Mast Raising

Postby Bill AU » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:55 pm

Edwin & Helen Flynn wrote:Hello Bill,

I just spotted your request about mast raising on a Careel 22. Firstly congratulations on your purchase, you have just bought a truly fantastic boat.

I actually live in Sunbury in Victoria, not very far from you. I made my mast raising system like it is because I have installed a Jib furler on my boat, so I could not continue to raise my mast from the bow as you normally would with a C22.

If you raise your mast from the bow you can modify my system to suit yours. Just let me know your current set up and we can discuss. You may telephone me if you like, we are on the telephone directory.

Ed (Wanton C22/110)

Hello Ed,

I was up in Sunbury last month visiting a mate, had I known you lived there, I could have met with you on that visit :) Sunbury is just over a 1 hour drive from my place...Via BM.
The mast on Kittyhawk is raised and lowered from the bow, apart from that, I know verry little...I'm new to sailing :) But I have noticed the wireing to the masthead light (anchor light) has been cut so, I will have to run-in new wireing for that light...I believe it would be best to run the wire down the inside of the mast and have a waterproof conector/jointer near the foot of the mast on the cabin roof but, with your permission, I'll have a look at your set-up when I get up to Sunbury. I'll give you a bell later today Ed.

Bill
Strangers are friends you have not yet met :)

New to me...My Careel 22, Kittyhawk

Return to “Technical Articles”