Trotter Keel Case Replacement and Shaping of Centre Board

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:41 pm

Pity the torredo wood worms are so aggressive in Lake Macquarie, the ply on the keel might last out the first race at the nationals if you are lucky ... munch, munch, more please!
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work
IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

peter connor
Old Fart

Postby peter connor » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:27 pm

Good work Paul

You will be able to tack better and run better.

Know there is just those other jobs that need doing.

Regards

Peter Connor
C18/370
The Smooth
The fastest cruising careel 18 in Australia ( that is unless Don or James take up cruising)

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:30 pm

Peter.

Robyn, my wife and I have just completed a survey run up the Hunter / Paterson Rivers in readiness for the 7th-8th.Nov. Cruise - Hunter River.

I promise you, it's going to be a cruise to remember, one not to be missed, lots of relaxing, history, beautiful scenery, etc.!!

Look for the details in the Sept. Careel News.

We're hopeful of getting to The Basin. Pittwater and would be launching at Brooklyn should elusive time allow.

At these cruises, we won't be to interested in speed, I'll receive an earful pretty quick if I do anything which may lead to any spillage of wine for example. Your claim to be the fastest cruising C18 is therefore safe, ha.ha!!

regards
Don.

paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

More Jobs

Postby paul trotter » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:01 pm

Peter there are always more jobs....

Before launching on Sunday I hope to complete the following:

Epifill Canopy Top damaged when flying off boat on road
Decks O Lay to the gunnel rails
Wash down
Check Battery
Repair weatherboard oh and..........

I better get an hair cut, mow the lawn and some weeding!

Thanks everyone for your advice and words of encouragement while I undertook this saga of a job. Some advice was taken, some ignored but I did it "My Way" just like the song and it almost killed me. The saga will not be over until I have a successful test run as I'm still worried about keels jambing or running gear getting stuck.

This forum is fantastic for assistance and by the number of hits on this topic there must be a lot of lonely desperate lurkers out there who love watching someone suffer! I am always amazed at how people find this sort of 'dry' stuff so interesting.

Long life Clayton and his team at Careel.com
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

peter connor
Old Fart

Postby peter connor » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:20 pm

Don

One of my Sons, me and the dog a planning on doining the Hunter river cruise.

As for being the fastest cruising boat we must confess that when cruising we mostly use the motor.

So if you show on any cruise, you take the title.

Paul

I have done lots to the boat over the winter. All stuff to make cruising better.

So when you have recovered I can give you the list. It will be keep you safe from the lawn mowing for a long time. Just ask the dog to move over when the back door is locked on you.

Regards

Peter Connor
C18/370
The Smooth
(Soon not to be the fastest cruising Careel 18 in Australia.)

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:14 pm

PETER.
There is only two titles that I'm remotely interested in.

1. The State of Origin on the Clarence. NSW needs collect the trophy.
2. The Nats, which I'm sure will be a battle.(No. of quick boats)

The rest of the time, that I can secure with the boat is usually designated to picnicking and relaxing after we've motored somewhere with the shade up.

Glad you'll be at the Hunter, it'll be an all motor cruise by the way.
Don.

paul trotter

Keel Test Drive

Postby paul trotter » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:16 pm

Well today I ventured out to Lake Samsonvale for a race with Mr Woods and the Marrs.

All went well. The keel went down all right and it came back up again without any problems. I have a leek in the keel case which was easy enough to spot and so a little extra glass is required along the base of the keel case.

Performance?

At the start we had the Marrs at the line with us with the Woods starting late. Well Wyuna just took off! She pointed magnificently and was just a different boat. We were way out in front at the first mark and despite a few errors maintained a good lead for the rest of the trip. I'm sure the Marrs were settling in to Little M and she seemed to perform better later in the race.

The boat just seems now to get in a grove when sailing to windward and just feels fast and well tuned. With the new rudder it will go beyond sensational!

Mr Woods in his other careel 18 "The Partnership" did appear to make up alot of ground so I suspected they sailed well.

It looks like being an interesting sailing season and I think we should keep Don within our sights or better on the Clarence. Don has been a big help on this whole adventure and without his encouragement and advice I don't think I would have done it!

Redcliffe Raft Up next Sunday so I have some epoxy work to do over a couple of nights to fix this damn leak.

Cheers
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:56 pm

Good healthy rivalry with opponents helping each other .. must be Careel owners but the evil Clockwork crew will be bringing wood worms trained to attack only boats flying rust red flags at the nats.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work

IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:43 pm

IanLee wrote:Good healthy rivalry with opponents helping each other .. must be Careel owners but the evil Clockwork crew will be bringing wood worms trained to attack only boats flying rust red flags at the nats.

...and he's arming them with special enzymes that turn epoxy into just poxy. :lol:
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Pete C
Old Fart

Postby Pete C » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:12 pm

Good healthy rivalry with opponents helping each other .. must be Careel owners but the evil Clockwork crew will be bringing wood worms trained to attack only boats flying rust red flags at the nats.

No need to worry about the worms Ian, the first object he hits with his keel will instantly cause it to delaminate and make a massive handbrake :P

Pete
TAZ

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:37 pm

So I take it that we're goin' to see the evil Clockwork at the Nats. this season, great. Will the famous new knees be on board.
By the way the new fast style of light wieght, aerofoiled, high pointing with speed performance CB's are totally resistant to any type of marine worm known to man.
There is but one exception, Trotts , don't fly that flag!!!!!
Oh, what the hell, your a Qld'r !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don.

jamesw
Nationals Trophies 4 Sale - Bulk Deals

Postby jamesw » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:28 pm

hmm, but even ply warps - then you'll have wings - three keels for the price of one - hooooaahhh
Katrina C18/200

paul trotter

Ply rot?

Postby paul trotter » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:40 pm

My NSW bretheran,

Never fear the ply was generally coated and impregnated with Epicure to ward off those evil Lake Macquarie worms.

Its shape is a marvel and its performance is something amazing!

So whats stopping me?

Not much:

1. I'm very happy with the spars, rigging and sails. The sails are only three years old and the Genoa is very similar to the set up on Buhawi with only the luff / leach about 250mm shorter but a slightly longer foot. I have also tweakers.
2. Keel is magnificent and shaped to perfection and feels fantastic.
3. New lightweight fibreglass dagger board rudder is on order.
4. Navigations systems - still testing the applications on the iphone - Navionics program is not bad.
5. Sailing crew - I have the best and most committed team of relatives. My brother Mark and daughter Clare with good ability to have a light weight person on the helm.
6. Tactics the 3D thinking - check
7. Starting ability - this crew nailed every start at the Nationals
8. Knowledge of the rules - limited but have a copy beside the bed
9. Practise - we need more but Lake Samsonvale series, S of Origin and Qld Titles coming
10. Captains confidence - Way over confident and helmsmanship needs to improve on tacks and picking the shifts.

The record:

16 out of 20 boats 2006 Nationals in Wyuna
Mid field and 2nd Place handicap position of 2nd in 2007 Nationals in Ivana
13 out of 26 boats in the 2009 Nationals in Wyuna (half way up the field)

Its a record of continuous improvement and becoming an addiction / affliction depending on how you look at it. My wife thinks the latter!

Bring on the Nationals and a flogging of NSW at the Clarence River Origin of the Species Classic!!
Last edited by paul trotter on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

paul trotter

How fast?

Postby paul trotter » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:48 pm

So how fast is this boat now?

Have a close look at the photo below. In the upper left corner in the distance is the closest Careel rival yesterday on Lake Samsonvale!

Watch out!

Thats Matt my son at the helm (my other secret weapon) and the new shaven Trots up at the bow.

Here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
first trial.JPG
first trial.JPG (245.45 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:11 pm

Paul,
Still a little bit of stubble there mate ! Get a new blade in and you'll cane !
Don.

Return to “Technical Articles”