Trotter Keel Case Replacement and Shaping of Centre Board

Leerac
Old Fart

Graphite Paul !

Postby Leerac » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:51 am

Paul I hope you are going to finish it off with a coat of epoxy mixed with graphite powder , man will you fly then, and also added protection from scratching as it is lowered and raised, :wink: my 2 bobs worth mate.
(Bundy Bruce)
Quintrex explorer 390 15 hp yamaha stink tinnie

paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

Graphite King

Postby paul trotter » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:58 pm

Bundy,

Sorry but I'm over it! Its been a massive blitz to get all that work done and my wife is ready to kill me!

Its taken me since late June to get this far with a three week holiday in between.

I plan to do the last finishing coat in the epoxy and then a light sand with some wet and dry to finish her off. The overall aerofoil shape is magnificent.

My theory is that if it looks fast it will be fast! The leading edge is curved, smooth and magestic with a wonderful parabolic profile perfect for flying! The trailing edge could be a little longer but would involve too much shaving of the table. Its all still very smooth and drag should be minimised.

Gee I hope I'm fast!

If I can just get the rudder in time for the State Titles I might be able to get my name on that ugly mug Cookie and I bought! I'm sure it will be a hard fought competition. Remember its on the 1st November All Saints Day.

Will we see you Bundy at Redcliffe on the 13th?
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

fritzelhund
Old Fart

Postby fritzelhund » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:09 pm

I too have a " leading edge that is curved and majestic with a wonderful parabolic effect"..
Trouble is my belt has to be either above it and makes me look several months into a confinement or below my maximum camber and that destroys the line of the back pocket.
Mind I am envious of the speed it has taken you to achieve the effect..mine has taken several decades.

Curved and majestic leading edges can also be applied to noses as well..and come to think of I am blessed with one of them too.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem....

paul trotter

I couldn't stop laughing

Postby paul trotter » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:25 pm

That post from Herr Fritz had my stomach splitting!

Yesterday the last finishing coat of epoxy was completed after a little light sanding to remove the hardened dribble marks from the previous sides application.

It looks brilliant and I can't wait to see it installed.

I'll take some photographs of the historic moment as the pin is driven home. Please pray for me in the coming days that:

1. It fits
2. It doesn't stick
3. We don't drop it and chop someone's toe off!
4. The pin fits
5. The table goes back on without any dramas!

Alot can go wrong so all fingers are crossed....

But will I be any faster on the water?

Will I point higher?

We'll see!
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:01 pm

Good work Trotts, almost there, yes watch those fingers and toes.
It's a great feeling to have it back in the case, it's all worked out and lined up just right and all ready for action.
Have faith and trust in your job done, she looks pretty good and together with all those other improvements and knowledge gained, why wouldn't you be quicker. You certainly should be able to point and drive the thing off all your new foils a lot better.
Don.

jamesw
Nationals Trophies 4 Sale - Bulk Deals

Postby jamesw » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:31 am

one of the catracers has half of one finger, the other lost to a Careel 22 centreboard installation! saves weight I guess!
Katrina C18/200

paul trotter

Its in

Postby paul trotter » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:02 pm

Well its been an emotional filled day but now the keel is back in the case and Careel where it should be!

It response to the fears listed in the previous post lets see how I did....

1. It fits - yes with room each side and looks good
2. It doesn't stick - Yep
3. We don't drop it and chop someone's toe off! - No toes damaged but a bashed head
4. The pin fits - yes but not without difficulty
5. The table goes back on without any dramas! - Its on!

I got out to Moggill at around 10 am and checked out the keel from the last paint job. It looked okay and I sanded off any remaining dags. Its not mirror smooth but not bad.

I cleared the boat in preparation for the new keel and my brother turned up with a small crane and clamps. We carried the keel over to the truck horizontally and that all went okay. On went the clamps and we put a shackle through the keel uphaul hole and then did a test lift. It all held well and we prepared for placement with cameras on hand for the spectacular moment.

As the keel was swung with the crane over the top of the boat my wife rang on the mobile and then my mother who came to witness the spectacle had the horizontal mast drop down on her head (and she wasn't in the danger zone!).

Despite the distractions we lowered the keel and I guided it in. We had to shuffle it back and forward but eventually had the first leading edge in the case. The jacks were all positioned below with chocks up into the keel case from below.

As the keel was lowered in I removed the tape from around the shims and then we lowered her further on to the chocks.

First problem:
She was sitting to far back to the stern so I used a wedge and screw driver to leaver it further forward.

I had to move a jack further back as it was not making contact and was to far up forward.

Second problem:
The uphaul connection was fouling the keel and prevented it from being shifted forward enough. I re engaged the jacks and raised the keel high enough to make the necessary adjustments. All good.

Down she went again. With a torch I check the pin hole for the alignment and it took some work with the jacks and wedges to get her far enough forward and in position.

I tried driving the pin home but no luck. With lots of work with a screw driver in the hole I think it was clear and I made another attempt. Bang, bang then a chear and I drove her home. First the pin and then the ss sleave from the other side. The ply in the unfixed side of the keel case doesn't look that good. There was a scream of delight on insertion and all was good and I was ready to crack that keg of Heinekin. It was 2pm and hot and sweaty down there.

I then went to remove the jacks and shock horror one of the shims fell from the keel case onto the ground. I had a mealt down! It was two pm I was over it, I wanted a beer and lunch, the crane had gone back to its home! I was devastated! Could I live with one shim missing. My brother said "The beer won't taste as nice now"

And he was right! I sat down in the garage on my own, dispondent.
Then my brother confidently suggested we could use some thin plywood and push back the shim into position. It was worth a try.

At this stage my other brother Mark had turne up and was offering advice and numerous distractions and I was melting down! He put the fan on and measured the ply for the redeployement of the shim.

I sat in the boat with a finger in each side of the hole holding it all in position while brother Chris pushed up the shim from below and I felt it running between my fingers then "Bingo" we had alignment. With one finger holding it all together (and the jack had been reinserted to prevent lose of finger!) I bashed the pin home with the hammer and all was good!

The beer was cold and fantastic!

Photos will follow shortly.

I then spent later in the afternoon attaching the running gear to the side of the case and found an error. I had forgotten to lasoo the lock down rope around the end of the keel. It was a nice neat swagged rope loop and I had missed it! Damn.

So I cut the loop out, burnt the end and then threaded it delicately around the end with the aid of a screw driver. The line is now a little shorter now and will need to have the jamb cleat moved further forward btu thats better than messing around again with the pin.

The screws went in around the table in fading light and the final chapter will be complete tomorrow morning.

What a saga!

Thi
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:35 am

Good stuff Paul, very entertaining read !!
I'm sure you're glad it's all over!!
Don.

paul trotter

I'm over it and so is my wife!!

Postby paul trotter » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:46 pm

Today I did some work on the pulley system and packed up and towed the boat back from Moggill to our place in Sandgate.

I bogged up each side of the pin with silicone and put the table back together and sorted everything out.

The boat is now parked under the tarp and all tidied up ready for action next weekend.

A nagging worry is the keel sticking out below the line of the keel and she wont come up any further. I'm thinking S@#t I made it too big and its jambing on the bottom of the table?

Such was the worry I got the car jack out late this arvo to see if she would go any further up. No problem.

So all I have to do is launch the boat and pray the keel goes down and then comes up. If it does that....all will be good....if I'm any faster then that will be a bonus.

I'm over it!!

Photos to come!
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

paul trotter

Pictures

Postby paul trotter » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:02 pm

And the images
Attachments
IMG_4928.JPG
IMG_4928.JPG (57.94 KiB) Viewed 3874 times
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

paul trotter

more

Postby paul trotter » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:05 pm

more
Attachments
IMG_4929.JPG
IMG_4929.JPG (65.18 KiB) Viewed 3869 times
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

paul trotter

and more

Postby paul trotter » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:06 pm

more and more
Attachments
IMG_4933.JPG
IMG_4933.JPG (67.5 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

paul trotter

More keel

Postby paul trotter » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:07 pm

more
Attachments
IMG_4938.JPG
IMG_4938.JPG (50.83 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

paul trotter

last one

Postby paul trotter » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:09 pm

and the celebrations.

Note sweat on the gut from all the hard work.

The beer was fantastic
Attachments
IMG_4946.JPG
IMG_4946.JPG (49.83 KiB) Viewed 3862 times
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

Ivana

Postby Ivana » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:26 am

Well done trotts - what a gripping read. I was on the edge of my seat all the way...

Now its back to the beach for me...

Return to “Technical Articles”