Trotter Keel Case Replacement and Shaping of Centre Board

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:12 pm

ooh, look at that boom sheeting, is that legit, up with the red flag!
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work
IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:43 pm

Paul,

Where's yer hiking strap? Why aren'tcha hanging out over the side like James does? Get those abs working, man!

And have a shave. Just unnecessary extra weight.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

careeled
Old Fart

Postby careeled » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:46 pm

There's a nasty bit of mould on that PFD too. I'm sure that won't pass muster with the local safety inspectors. That's a DSQ offence for sure.

pdandy
Old Fart

Re: Ply rot?

Postby pdandy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:59 pm

[quote="paul trotter"]My NSW bretheran,

5. Sailing crew - I have the best and most committed team of relatives. My brother Mark and daughter Clare with good ability to have a light weight person on the helm.

quote]

Call that a light weight helmsperson? You're forgetting about the victorians...
Attachments
aug09 097.jpg
aug09 097.jpg (60.47 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
noelex 25
previously c18 no 459

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:00 pm

Oh yes, that pfd looks like it has had pdf peanut butter spread over it and been left to rot. You have now failed the "prelim safety check" and your nats entry will be refused as soon as your entry fee cheque has been lodged safely in the CCYA bank account .. nothing has ever re-emerged from there!
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work

IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

the other Trotter
Land Lubber

Postby the other Trotter » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:32 am

just a post to show Paul his national support crew is watching and can't wait to race in the new and improved Wyuna

fritzelhund
Old Fart

Postby fritzelhund » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:39 am

AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!

You mean there's TWO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem....

paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

More Leaks

Postby paul trotter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:27 am

This is an extract from the Redcliffe Raft up post...

After some post race investigation and the boat drained to the false floor line no more water is exiting the boat! The pin is the problem and the holes in the false floor at the bow end must be causing the problem. I need a good temporary fix before we take on NSW on the Clarence.

The plan......I drain the rest of the boat tonight. After a couple of days of drying out the holes in the false floor are Epifilled. I'll clear the boat on Sunday before the races on the lake and when she goes in i'll use a torch to check for any leaks between the false floor and vertical bunk bulkheads. Once spotted I can then glass them up and all my problems are restricted to whats going on within the false floor. She can just fill up with water until a bigger repair.

Major Repair will be to jack keel case and pull out the pin and reglass around pin holes to create perfect seal. Might need to consult David Cooks old Keel Hauled post for details! We have the technology!.

Comments welcome but I am confident the integrety of the hull is fine! Its the pin penetrations that are the problem! I seam to have had more water in the boat since drilling the holes in the false floor and my bet is the water was sitting in there for years un noticed as the un repaired side of the keel case looked very dodgy around the pin!

I better start the working week and answer some e-mails and attend some meetings!
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

careeled
Old Fart

Postby careeled » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:05 pm

IanLee wrote:Oh yes, that pfd looks like it has had pdf peanut butter spread over it and been left to rot. You have now failed the "prelim safety check" and your nats entry will be refused as soon as your entry fee cheque has been lodged safely in the CCYA bank account .. nothing has ever re-emerged from there!

Good news, Paul, m-a-a-a-y-t-e. We can sort your problem for you. Ian and I have preselected ourselves to the CCYA Safety Committee, and were duly elected.

Here's all you have to do:

*We've organised a seat for you at our next corporate fund-raising lunch. There is of course no charge for attending this lunch, but a minimum donation (tax deductible of course) of $150,000 to our nominated account will be required in advance. Do NOT bring a tape recorder.
    * Draw up a set of title deeds proving to our satisfaction that you own all of Queensland. (If you have access to a laser printer, that shouldn't be a problem.)
    * You'll need these title deeds so that we can arrange a "land swap" during our lunch. Under this land swap, we will undertake to provide -- to the best of our ability -- full dispensation for any safety breaches that may or may not be observed as we walk past your boat, or at any time during the event. We'll be issuing a press release regarding the formation of NSW's latest national park -- the entire state of Queensland -- on the day of the nationals, distracting attention from any decisions made in relation to safety breaches, real or imagined.
    * NOTE: If you are able to also bring title deeds to Victoria, we can probably ensure that any competitors finishing ahead of you during the nationals experience safety breaches that effectively disqualify them. We've never liked Victorians in NSW.

Please don't complain. This is the way we do business in NSW now. If you don't like it, you don't have to come here.

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:31 pm

careeled wrote:Please don't complain. This is the way we do business in NSW now. If you don't like it, you don't have to come here.

He's not kidding you know. I've got the tapes to prove it.

Love to say more but gotta go... the SMH is on the phone wanting to talk dollars...
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

careeled
Old Fart

Postby careeled » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:57 pm

maxm wrote:
careeled wrote:Please don't complain. This is the way we do business in NSW now. If you don't like it, you don't have to come here.

He's not kidding you know. I've got the tapes to prove it.

Love to say more but gotta go... the SMH is on the phone wanting to talk dollars...

Queensland used to have the White Shoe Brigade. Being a whole lot classier (as we are of course), here in NSW we have the Black Beemer Brigade.

paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

Feedback on the rules

Postby paul trotter » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:41 pm

It will be good to see NSW resorting to this style of tactic!

That means the Qld Fleet is getting up to speed and competitive.

We have now been at the Nationals three years running and we are learning more and more each year. And enjoying it.

Next Years Nationals will be very interesting as the Qld Competition has begun an internal arms race!

Dowling will be going crazy with more improvements when he sees how fast I am on the lake this Sunday....

I'm still waiting for that new rudder from Yacht Works. I fear it won't arrive in time for the Clarence Classic
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

jamesw
Nationals Trophies 4 Sale - Bulk Deals

Postby jamesw » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:46 pm

I see Mr Wearing will stop at nothing and has purchases some light but bugged motor for the transom...I bet he only carries one litre of fuel during the nationals and tops up every day!

The rules my Trotter, the rules - 5litres are a requirement so it's 5 litres that get carried!

Just thought, I could pull all the internal gubbins out of the 'old' outboard, carry the 5l and row/sail/get a tow out to the start line - now that would save weight!
Katrina C18/200

Sayla
Captain

Re: Trotter Keel Case Replacement and Shaping of Centre Boar

Postby Sayla » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:01 am

center case replacement. you make it look soo difficult building this time with plywood.

you have a perfectly good fibreglass boat..so why not make a new case from fibreglass? end of story.

And I dont think the center-plate will show any corrosion if skinned with dynel cloth.

Comments any body?

Return to “Technical Articles”