Navigation lights

dave
Old Fart

Navigation lights

Postby dave » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:39 pm

Gday Careelers,
If you are smart or lucky you will be sailing today while the dummies (me ) are working.
I have a question regarding navigation lights and even after a fair amount of brainstorming I am yet to come up with a satisfactory answer.
In light of some of the recent accidents I would expect waterways to be pretty diligent when policing safety issues this summer and in particular navigation lights.
The col regs state ( to the best of my memory!!!!)that a power driven vessel under way/ making way must display a port and starboard light visible through 135degrees......I think. No problem.
In addition an ALL ROUND WHITE LIGHT must also be displayed.
The question I have is where can you reasonably place a hard wired all round white light on a C18. The ideal place would be at the masthead but given the complication of stepping and dropping the mast at every outing I can't see this working too well.
Currently my stern light is attached to the pushpit but is definately not viewable from 360 degrees around the boat. To place it higher will interfere with the movement of the boom.
There isn't a spot on the cabin roof where it can go without interfering with the vang and also being subject to being kicked or smashed.Even so it would be obscured from a front on view by the mast.
I simply can't think of anywhere else than the pushpit to attach it but in this location I am sure it does not comply with the col regs.
I refer to a power driven vessel because almost exclusively, any night time boating would be under power.
Sailing at night with the lights as they are would be legal, ie sidelights and a stern light.
Has anybody thought about this dilemma ? Has anybody been booked by maritime for showing the incorrect lights.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Cheers
Dogsbody Dave
PS After Vernes comment at the nationals in Feb that my paint job looked good but that my gunwhale timber looked terrible......( He was 100% correct) I rubbed them back this week and today applied the 4th coat of varnish. It really makes the boat look 100 times better than before. It only takes a few hours to rub them back then a single coat of varnish a day, for a week or so, and hey presto she looks beautiful.
See you all soon on the water
DOGSBODY

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:06 pm

Dave,

For a start, if you are sailing at night, you don't need to show any lights since you are less than 7 metres long. However you must have a torch that you can shine onto your sails. This is 100%... check the Maritime NSW website - http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/nav_ ... ml#sailing

Ideally, though, you will show the same nav lights as the larger sail boats, ie red and green (port and starboard) side lights plus a white stern light.

Once you start your motor, though, you become a power boat. Our boats are less than 7 metres and will do less than 7 knots (assuming you don't have a monster outboard strapped to the back!). So you must now have one white, all round light. Side lights are optional but preferred. But there must be just one white light visible all round the boat.

So this white light is the hard part. There's two options... First is to have a steaming light (a white light which shines through 135 degrees at the front of the boat). This shows a white light at the front where you can't see the stern light. Second option is a single, all round white light and turn off the stern light.

Option 2 is easy. Have a separate switch for the stern light so you can switch it off independently to the side lights. Then you can hang a single, all round white light off the boom (I think Greg Unger carries one ready fitted with a velcro or shockcord strap and plugs into a cigarette lighter plug in the cabin. Hang it off the end of the boom so the light isn't in your eyes. Easy!

Otherwise for option 1, you could carry a steaming light (available at your local friendly Bias store! :wink: ), again with a strap and cord fitted, ready to plug into a handy cigarette lighter. This can be strapped to the mast when needed and just plugged in (after all, you won't have sails in the way). Even easier!
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

pdandy
Old Fart

Postby pdandy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:45 pm

not sure how legal it is, but I have a white all round light that I intend to hoist up the mast using the topping lift if I ever motor at night. It's actually a lantern from the camping store and battery powered.....

Truth is the only times I'm out at night I'm sailing so my red/green and tail light are all I have fixed on the boat.
noelex 25
previously c18 no 459

Drifter
Captain

Re: Navigation lights

Postby Drifter » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:32 pm

Hi all,

I am a newbie to the careel world and have tested the side navigation lights are working on the boat I recently purchased (run off a little 18AH deep cycle battery). I don't plan on sailing at night, but it is possible I could be anchored at night with the keel down for stability and to make it easier to head off in the morning. There appears to be a stern clamp on light and I was considering hoisting a huricane lamp from the jib halyard with a holding line secured to the saddle for the inner forestay to stop the lamp from swinging in the breeze. Is this a little over lit or are there other options? Also is it possible to work out if the side lights are led? I thought this would drop the draw on the battery significanly as it is such a little battery. I like the idea of a huricane lamp as it liquid fuel so doesn't require recharging etc and can be used inside the cabin if required as well. I would appreciate other's opinions on this.

Ps can't wait to get my new boat on the water!

Cheers,
Ben

maxm
Old Fart

Re:

Postby maxm » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:32 pm

pdandy wrote:not sure how legal it is, but I have a white all round light that I intend to hoist up the mast using the topping lift if I ever motor at night. It's actually a lantern from the camping store and battery powered.....

Truth is the only times I'm out at night I'm sailing so my red/green and tail light are all I have fixed on the boat.

Technically, it's perfectly legit provided you can turn off (or cover) your stern white light while it's on. I've got a similar setup only mine is an LED array with a long lead attached and a cigarette lighter plug on the end. I haven't used that as a steaming light yet but have used it as an anchor light hauled up the forestay on the jib halyard.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:47 pm

Drifter wrote:Hi all,

I am a newbie to the careel world and have tested the side navigation lights are working on the boat I recently purchased (run off a little 18AH deep cycle battery). I don't plan on sailing at night, but it is possible I could be anchored at night with the keel down for stability and to make it easier to head off in the morning. There appears to be a stern clamp on light and I was considering hoisting a huricane lamp from the jib halyard with a holding line secured to the saddle for the inner forestay to stop the lamp from swinging in the breeze. Is this a little over lit or are there other options? Also is it possible to work out if the side lights are led? I thought this would drop the draw on the battery significanly as it is such a little battery. I like the idea of a huricane lamp as it liquid fuel so doesn't require recharging etc and can be used inside the cabin if required as well. I would appreciate other's opinions on this.

Ps can't wait to get my new boat on the water!

Cheers,
Ben

Best way to work out if your nav lights are LED is to open them up and see what kind of bulb is in them. If it's a standard incandescent then you can get LEDs in a festoon bulb (as they're known). LEDs should draw less current so your battery will last longer between recharges. I think Supercheap Auto have some festoon LEDs (for example).

And a hurricane lamp hung from the rigging for an anchor light is how they used to do it in the old days before electricity! :D It works, The only thing I can think of to be wary of would be fuel spills leading to fire or a slippery deck. You only need the one all-round white light to be legal but the stern one one could be used to light up the cockpit of an evening.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

Mark III Amigo
Old Fart

Postby Mark III Amigo » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:35 pm

My mast head light is a white all round led light from whtworths, the one designed to suction cap to the cabin top. I have modified so that it slides in the mast track and is hoisted using the main halyard to the top.

Drifter
Captain

Postby Drifter » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:57 pm

Thank you everyone for your advice. It seems I am over engineering the solution yet again! Stern clamped all round led white light seems the best option. Thanks for your help all.

Cheers,
Ben

Return to “Technical Articles”