Simply Red Progress (vital C22 keel repair information)

fredoz
Old Fart

Postby fredoz » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:24 pm

My son and I launched 'Simply Red' for the first time today. No need to rave on you guys know it all anyway, but we were really taken with the sailing manners she displayed, with gusts to 20 or so she did not heel more than 45 degrees, seemed to turn in her own length on 'going a bout' and gybbed ever so sweetly, made us amateurs feel like pros.
Pat
Pat
Former Owner
Yesterday I thought I was wrong, but then I found I was mistaken

jamesw
Nationals Trophies 4 Sale - Bulk Deals

Postby jamesw » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:05 am

Well done, hope you have many enjoyable sails.
Katrina C18/200

Edwin Flynn
Old Fart

Re: Simply Red Progress (vital C22 keel repair information)

Postby Edwin Flynn » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi Pat, thank you for posting such a good record of your keel restoration. I have a couple of questions and would appreciate your assistance.

1. Removing the table.
I have come to the conclusion from Max's comments, that I will need to remove the "dress" timbers beneath the table to access the additional screws that hold the table down. Is this correct?

2. You said that you used 5/8" threaded rod and wood blocks to remove/lower or instal/raise keel. Did you fit that threaded rod into the hole to which you screwed the eyebolt in one of your photos.

Again thank you for a great record of a major project.

Regards
Ed
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail!!
The following is my club's web site which I authored. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed building it.
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com

fredoz
Old Fart

Postby fredoz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:34 pm

Hi Ed, sorry for slow reply, I don't check in too often. The threaded rod does go where you can see the eye bolt. The thread in the keel may well be filled with a soft material to protect the thread, you might have to dig around. I didn't really like using the eye bolt, or at least would only use it once with the flexing that went on. Instead I would use a 20 mm eye nut with a good high tensile 5/8 bolt through it, a socket head cap screw does work and fits neatly into the eye nut. If you can't find an eye nut let me know.

Pat
Pat
Former Owner

Ronandju
Petty Officer

Postby Ronandju » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:42 pm

Thanks for the info, this is helping me do our swing keel

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:27 pm

Unfortunately we seem to have lost all the photos and commentary that was posted on picasa for this thread. But all is not lost... I stumbled on some info from David Rose via Watermark which talks about how to remove the keel from a C22. The procedure sounds essentially the same as was discussed in this thread so could be used as a guide for anyone needing to do the same. From my reading, about the only hard part of the entire process would be lifting the boat off the keel. Or, probably worse - dropping the boat back onto the keel in exactly the right spot!

Click this link to download the pdf document NB. Includes engineering drawings needed for making a new keel horn.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

fredoz
Old Fart

Postby fredoz » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:46 pm

Hi folks, I have managed to locate the keel repair pictures, thanks to icloud. I will post them back here, with comments as I can recall, in due course. Had to email them to myself, just a bit busy right now. Hopefully get them up in a few weeks, then they should be a permanent record.
Pat
Pat
Former Owner

Return to “Technical Articles”