Simply Red Progress (vital C22 keel repair information)

Swerve
Old Fart

Postby Swerve » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:48 am

Pat,

Just went through your photos and excellent write up. Thanks for sharing this experience with us !!!

Steve
2008 Caravelle 217 LS, 300hp
Ex two Careels owner (C18/125, C18/192)
2010 GU Patrol Ti 4.8L

Edwin Flynn
Old Fart

Postby Edwin Flynn » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:07 am

Fred would yuo be able to post some pictures of the keel box showing the installed hydrolics and perhaps the keel pin Please?

Great to follow this project, I want to do mine this year.

Regards
Ed
Wanton C22/110
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail!!
The following is my club's web site which I authored. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed building it.
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com

fredoz
Old Fart

Postby fredoz » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:23 pm

Thanks for comments, yes there will be a few more pics to post, will upload to same site added onto the others. The pin appears to be different to others I have seen described in that it is a hollow tube and the keel had some form of micre in the pin pivot point.
Pat
Pat
Former Owner
Yesterday I thought I was wrong, but then I found I was mistaken

fredoz
Old Fart

Postby fredoz » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:03 pm

More pics now uploaded to same site, pass mouse pointer over each pic for full commentary or use slide show feature. I trust they will be helpful for future keel removals. While it worked for me I can't guarantee the methods will work for you and cannot warrant my methods will be suitable for any individual applications.
Pat
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/fredoz04/KeelC22
Pat
Former Owner
Yesterday I thought I was wrong, but then I found I was mistaken

pugwash
Old Fart

Postby pugwash » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:38 pm

Rod, That is amazing! It looks as though the whole operation went as smooth as silk, although I bet there were some heart-stopping moments along the way.
Should be kept as a great resource for c22 owners.
Congratulations.
Clive.

c18/89 "Slipjig"
--------------------
I can't find my camouflage net....

Edwin Flynn
Old Fart

Postby Edwin Flynn » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:05 am

Thanks for posting all those pictures Fred. I have downloaded the lot. First time that I've seen the keel box dismantled. I agree with Clive, your whole post is bound to become a great resource for all C22 lovers who will no doubt need to do this work at some stage.

Thanks again

Ed
Wanton C22/110
Wanton C22/110
All I wanna do is sail!!
The following is my club's web site which I authored. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed building it.
http://www.baysidetrailableyachtclub.com

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:46 am

Perhaps we need to change the "off topic" subject stream on the opening page of the forum to a "Tech Hint" where we could "sticky" real hard tech advice such as the photo string on the 22 keel reno and the Qld 18 keel case reno. I must talk to the "Boss and Site Owner" when he gets back, he is presently sailing the Whitsundays on a big cat for a week.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work
IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

Leerac
Old Fart

Postby Leerac » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:59 am

Geez half his luck ! Only way to go ! 8)
(Bundy Bruce)
Quintrex explorer 390 15 hp yamaha stink tinnie

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:59 pm

IanLee wrote:I must talk to the "Boss and Site Owner" when he gets back, he is presently sailing the Whitsundays on a big cat for a week.

And the real sting is that he didn't ask any of us along to crew for him *sniff* :cry:
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

IanLee
Old Fart

Postby IanLee » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:14 pm

He asked part of the Clockwork crew, his sister Julie, to go along but did not ask the bionic kneed member of the crew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - so I gave up work

IAN LEE CLOCKWORK 18-403

careeled
Old Fart

Postby careeled » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:30 pm

IanLee wrote:Perhaps we need to change the "off topic" subject stream on the opening page of the forum to a "Tech Hint" where we could "sticky" real hard tech advice such as the photo string on the 22 keel reno and the Qld 18 keel case reno. I must talk to the "Boss and Site Owner" when he gets back, he is presently sailing the Whitsundays on a big cat for a week.
We also need a Grammar Nazi page.

The "Boss and Site Owner" either "will PRESENTLY be sailing the Whitsundays" or "is CURRENTLY sailing the Whitsundays". Hopefully Kate will jump in and back me up here.

"Presently" is far too often misused (it does not, never has and hopefully never will mean "at present"), and it's time to stamp out this sort of creeping mis-usage.

Hurrumph!

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:06 pm

careeled wrote:We also need a Grammar Nazi page.

Nah. Nobody would read it except other Grammar Nazis. Then they'd argue endlessly whether a post properly used the pluperfect form of the past participle. Even they'd get bored.

BTW Any grammar nazis reading this please remember that I have absolutely no understanding of what I just said.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

jamesw
Nationals Trophies 4 Sale - Bulk Deals

Postby jamesw » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:16 am

Hey I think I've found a new newsletter editor, he even signs his name careeled - phew!!
Katrina C18/200

careeled
Old Fart

Postby careeled » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:42 am

maxm wrote:
careeled wrote:We also need a Grammar Nazi page.
Nah. Nobody would read it except other Grammar Nazis. Then they'd argue endlessly whether a post properly used the pluperfect form of the past participle. Even they'd get bored.
We NEVER get bored. Every day we see new examples that just get us excited all over again.

jamesw wrote:Hey I think I've found a new newsletter editor, he even signs his name careeled - phew!!
Nah, been there, done that. And FYI, "Careeled" is not a noun, it's a verb (for those of you who have ANY idea of what I'm talking about).

Oh, look, a noun is a NAMING word, and a verb is a DOING word, OK.

In this particular instance, I could be the subject of the verb "to careel" as in "I Careeled", or the object, as in "I have been Careeled". In both instances, Max, notice I am using the Past PERFECT tense, as in "I Careeled/have been Careeled", and therefore am no longer doing so. This particularly relates to any editing fantasies James may have.

However, in my defence, I have just sent off my membership cheque for 2007/08 and 2008/09, so selected elements of that previous paragraph are not strictly speaking correct. Although, one could argue that the verb form "to be Careeled" simply means that once one has owned a Careel, it's impossible to get away from the bloody things...

Happy now?

fritzelhund
Old Fart

Postby fritzelhund » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:49 pm

One could of course become truly modern and forget the old latin based grammar and devote oneself to Halliday's Functional Grammar.

FYO the word .. or more correctly "utterance" Corolla has been used in this household as a verb .. To Carolle meaning to travel in Mr Toyota's product.

I am still celebrating IVANA !!!!!! with a goodly glass of Mateus every sunset.

The weather is looking good for this coming weekend... now that's worth writing about.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem....

Return to “Technical Articles”