Keel Hauled (vital C18 keel repair information)

John h
Old Fart

Re: Keel Hauled (vital C18 keel repair information)

Postby John h » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:00 am

Cool thanks. I still haven't seen a C18 in the flesh so all that may make more sense when I actually look at one.
Lil Annie C18 #438

jamesw
Nationals Trophies 4 Sale - Bulk Deals

Postby jamesw » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:55 pm

Have to admit, the only one I've seen up close is mine so I shouldn't really comment too much. I have keel slot gaskets which I think have acted to cushion the speed of the drop of the keel. There has been talk of putting some rubber or a piece of hosepipe at the front as a damper.
Katrina C18/200

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:26 pm

John.

I'll straight up, point out that this certainly was not on my boat but on one that I stepped onto one day, after being asked onboard.

It's probably a very good indicator of either a very worn or rotted out ply /pin (pivot) situation, which should have most definitely required urgent attention and repair works. Maybe the hole in the CB itself could have been badly elongated.

As one stepped from one side of the boat to the other, there was a big banging ( knocking ) sound coming directly from the CB case.
Apparently the knocking was still present whether on the water ( CB up ) or on the trailer. I did not go for a sail on the same so are not aware of what she may have sounded like or steered like. The owner said the noise seemed to disappear when the CB was down. All that hanging down vertical weight would obviously quell some of the noise but I'd think the thing would still certainly wiggle about some what, while underway, in that state.
Don.

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:53 pm

Hi
Pretty hard to tell .. unless it is really bad ... as don says if it is moving around heaps is a sign

On mine it wasn't till I had remove the trailer out from under her to get some work done on the trailer
had her sitting up on some steel saw stools ... lowered the centre board and then it was really hard to raise again

also it was hanging down out of the case towards the front a bit .... so I thought well while it is able to be lowered out
I might as well bit the bullet and fix it ... wasn't really that hard ... just a little time consuming ... it also gave me the chance
to clean up and coat the centre board before putting it back in.

and now at least I know it is done and should be good for a long time .... I also made it so I can remove it easier if needed

here is a link to the process I did ...

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3002

I would'nt let this deter you from buying a careel ... not much else can go wrong with them

cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

John h
Old Fart

Postby John h » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks Guys
Lil Annie C18 #438

Ivana

Postby Ivana » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:19 pm

This is my boat that this thread relates too.

Put in context, this is a 39 year old boat and while mine was probably the worst case scenario, it really was technically quite simple to fix and will probably last another 40 years

Also use your nose, if it smells mouldy and wet, then...

Return to “Technical Articles”