Keel up or down on permanent mooring

Marcus
Land Lubber

Keel up or down on permanent mooring

Postby Marcus » Thu May 14, 2020 10:46 am

Hello all,

I currently have a Careel 18 on a permanent mooring in Sydney Harbour. I wondered if anyone could recommend whether to leave the keel up or down while stored on the mooring?

Currently I leave it down to reduce the movement of the boat and reduce the load on the raising mechanism. However, I suspect the best approach would be to keep it up to reduce corrosion.

I appreciate its far from ideal having a Careel on a mooring, but the boat came to me through a family member and it is very convenient for picking the family up at the beach. I will be getting it anti-fouled annually.

Cheers,

M

maxm
Old Fart

Re: Keel up or down on permanent mooring

Postby maxm » Thu May 14, 2020 9:52 pm

Hi Marcus and welcome to the forum!

Someone who kept his boat on a mooring told me that keel up is definitely the way to go. The main reason for this is that it's very hard to antifoul up inside the case properly and so you will probably get marine growth in there. In his case, it got to the point where he couldn't raise his keel and had a really hard time getting all the barnacles out. With the keel in the case, the barnacles can't fill the space - but make sure you do antifoul the keel.

If you want to keep the strain off the keel raising gear (good idea) then one way would be to raise the keel, pass a strap under the boat (pass it under the boat at the bow and work your way aft). Pull the strap tight and then release the keel raising mechanism so the keel is resting on the strap instead of the mechanism.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Return to “Technical Articles”