roller reef boom

Ken B
Petty Officer

roller reef boom

Postby Ken B » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:51 am

Hi all,
recently purchased a C18 387
I took the careel out for its maiden voyage yesterday not a lot of wind, however it sailed well and I came home impressed with my recent purchase,
however could use some advice on some minor issues I had,
1] is there a locking device to keep the boom rolling, the issue I had was that to hoist the main from furled was to hold the boom back while hoisting to prevent the spring loaded boom from locking which was not practical [the issue in reverse to lower and furl] I feel there is something I have missed as it just don't seem right.
2] would anyone happen to have a careel diagram of the outhaul system. On my C18 the outhaul seems normal, the outhaul runs through the boom, exits about 2/3 along from the bottom of the boom then cleated. However the cleat being on the underside means with no or light wind on the sail it continually uncleats itself. This is an easy fix but it would be good to Know the original set up before drilling more holes in the boom to correct this issue.
any info appreciated
thanks Ken

Mark III Amigo
Old Fart

Re: roller reef boom

Postby Mark III Amigo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:07 pm

Hey Ken, that roller fuller locking is a pain. You can put a washer underneath so that it doesn’t lock, but you will need to drill out the rivets and take the end off to do that. Pretty easy.

That outhaul sounds standard. Light or no wind needs a loose foot anyway so wouldnt worry too much about it falling out.

Cheers

Cookie

Ken B
Petty Officer

Re: roller reef boom

Postby Ken B » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:59 am

thanks for that info, It's good to know I have not missed something, as it was the first sail in a careel in little to no wind with no pressure on the outhaul I was assuming that with some pressure on the foot it probably would be ok, I have had a response from tsp another careel owner used a v jam cleat which solved the problem, with the roller reef boom I was thinking of a washer or plate with a slot cut out externally that could be removed if the lock was required.
Ken

Return to “Technical Articles”