Recommendations on boat builders familiar with keel pin repair?

Platypus
Land Lubber

Recommendations on boat builders familiar with keel pin repair?

Postby Platypus » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:26 am

Hi

Does anyone have any recommendations as to any boat builders / fibreglass repair people who could help with fixing the CB case / keel pin for my C18 (208)?
I am willing to drive a reasonable distance eg, Melbourne, Canberra, Wollongong to get it fixed by someone who knows what they are doing.
Any suggestions?

I’m pretty sure there will be soggy wood in the lower CB case, as there is water in the void under the floor. I’m ok doing little fibreglass jobs, but this one is beyond me.

Otherwise the boat is coming along really well. I am intending to bring it to Canberra for your meeting, and hopefully get a few ideas.

Regards
Andy

maxm
Old Fart

Re: Recommendations on boat builders familiar with keel pin repair?

Postby maxm » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:52 pm

Hi Andy,

Is the keelcase soft to the touch around the pin? It probably is the pin BUT... there is another fairly common problem that causes water to get in under the cabin sole. This is when launch or retrieval goes a bit wrong and the skeg comes off the rollers. You can end up with a crack somewhere in the fibreglass near the skeg that'll let water in. It's worth checking for that before going to all the trouble of a keelcase repair job.

Sorry, can't help with the recommendations.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Platypus
Land Lubber

Postby Platypus » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:41 am

Ok, an update, I would appreciate comments!

I stripped everything out of it, removed the table top (the keel looks v clean, ropes new etc, but I don’t know if the pin has been removed), and launched it. Making sure it was dry first.
When I launched it I found about 1/3 of a bucket of water got in to the potty area, and there appears to be some obvious cracks along the forward inside of the potty bulkhead.

I dried it out again and then drove it around forward, reverse, rocking etc, and I couldn’t make it leak, more than a slight wetness.

When retrieving however (and I had to push it backwards again) again a lot of water came in.

1) I’m going to have a go at fixing the crack, and that should largely fix the water inside the cabin bit of the problem. Just dig out the loose stuff and put in new resin and glass mat.

2) your suggestion re a crack in the hull is quite likely, the underneath is pretty ugly, and badly painted over with blue anti fouling paint. A lot of work to remove it. A job for next winter...

3) I’m pretty sure there is water under the floor (as it drips for ages when the boat is sitting in the drive). I’ve got some 6 inch inspection ports, but I’m abit cautious about fitting them, it might just cause the water under the floor to come through? Or it should be fine with lots of grease?

4) is the underneath of the floor just air, or is it full of foam?

5) as the lockers under the fwd berths are getting abit of water in them anyway, i was thinking of filling them with foam and screwing the hatches down (like the rear 2). It does create centre of buoyancy issues if ever capsized tho. Probably best to fix the leaks...

6) does anyone know any previous owners of this boat #208, previously called exmoor IV? I’d like to know what major work was done in the past.

Regards
Andy

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:33 pm

Underneath the floor is just air. There shouldn't be any problem installing inspection hatches into the floor, in fact I'd recommend putting one each side of the keelcase, directly below the companionway as far aft as you can get them. I installed hatches in that spot in my C18 and the previous owner did it in my C22. It allows you to check what's going on under there and also lets you air it out. The only hassle is that there's not much of a gap between the floor and hull.

If there's water getting into the lockers then that's probably not the keel pin. Is it salt water? Often, rain water can leak in from above. The forward hatch on our boats are notorious for getting water in. I drove home through very heavy rain one time. When I went to empty out the boat I found the forward locker had a couple of buckets worth of rain water in it! :shock:

As for the pin... when the keel case was originally built, it would have been glassed in one piece and the keel pin would have been glassed over at that time. The end result was that you couldn't see where the pin was. If it's still like that then the pin has never been pulled out. On the other hand, if there's an obvious patch where the pin is (or even better - if the pin is sticking out of the keel case) then it has had some work.

Hope that helps.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Drifter
Captain

Postby Drifter » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi there,

I have an old mk1 careel and have installed a stainless steel inspection port in the false floor to get access to drain the area and leave it open when on the trailer for airing and drying out. I used to get water in the porta potty area - check your thru hull fittings (if you have them). I was getting a small leak there and sealed it up and never had an issue there since. I think my slow leak is from cracks/damage along the keel but then would be hard to find and treat. It is only about a litre of water if that that would accumulate over a number of days 3-4 days and I always dry it out after putting away from a cruise. One day I will take out the keel pin but that is definitely a job to tackle over winter and take my time! Hope it all works out for you

Cheers,
Drifter
C18/137

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:04 pm

Andy, there could be a number of things going on there as has been mentioned & you'll have to be a bit methodical in searching out the problem/s. Sounds like this is certainly a bit more than the common Mk1 splash out of the top front cable/rope hole in the case for the keel system. I'd also be checking the front of the keel case for possible damage from the underside as the internal raise/lower mechanism could have failed at some stage allowing the keel to free fall & slam down into bottom front of case. Whilst under & checking that out, inspect along the inside/ bottom edges of the case along its length for possible open or partially open screw holes as someone may have also attempted in the past to fit slot gaskets. Certainly the old loo hull fittings could be a source of leakage as well. Agree check the hull for any cracking from outside roller/skid damage. Make sure to lower those rear outer support rollers or skids before launch, raise after retrieve. Good idea too, to only remove table top whist on trailer as raise /lowering of the keel when table not in place could result in snapping Sampson Post. The table itself acts as a support or bracing member. I'd be best thinking that if you had any leakage points from up higher in the boat you'd be noticing cushion wetness for example.
Don.

Return to “Technical Articles”