Deck Water Drainage

dick
Ensign

Deck Water Drainage

Postby dick » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:48 pm

My Careel 18 (Number 215) Nutcracker is now moored and the water does not run off the deck and sits in the gunwale, as there are no drainage holes. There are some recesses moulded in the gunwale rail just forward of the cockpit, were these ever drainage holes? As they are in the perfect location providing there is a hole.
Has anyone added drainage holes and what would be risks involved (ie weakening the structure)?

No Way
Old Fart

Re: Deck Water Drainage

Postby No Way » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:57 pm

Won't weaken the structure but is very likely there is a small void between the hull skin and the deck skin so you would need to put some sort of grommet thru to create the drain. The void is formed inside the boat by the laminate which ties hull and deck together but it doesn't go aft of the cockpit lockers so if water makes it into the void then it will probably enter the boat at the aft end.

mjames
Old Fart

Re: Deck Water Drainage

Postby mjames » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:59 pm

Nutcracker.. ex pittwater boat from the days.. i remember seeing a boat years ago. It had green top sides like mine.. had the drainage holes you speek of.. retro fitted..at the time i thought it was a great idea because i always had water sitting in there. Also had a patch of ozzy just there to. The drainage hole was exactly where you're describing. Went straight through and out. Im sure the don or vern would be familiar with this.
ex owner of C 18 194 Aeolian
Northshore 27 Turning Point

michael james

Return to “Technical Articles”