Careel 18 Cruising Rudder Box Repair

paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

Careel 18 Cruising Rudder Box Repair

Postby paul trotter » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:47 am

Guys,

I have put in my ss rudder box for repair after it was smashed by that big Grafton Storm in early October. The quote for new ss cheeks is $1000 which is pretty dear but its a one off!

Does anyone know who originally made them or a supplier who might do it cheaper? I’m based in Brisbane so this will be problematic. Or does anyone have a second hand one? Its the newer type arrangement for a mark 3 with the rudder swinging vertically up out of the water 180 degrees from the down position. Its a great system but I’m saddened by its loss! Too much wirk for a crowbar I’m afraid!
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

maxm
Old Fart

Re: Careel 18 Cruising Rudder Box Repair

Postby maxm » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:07 pm

Ouch, that's pretty pricey. For that kind of money, why not give Castle Yachts (Yachtworks?) a call? They've made complete rudder and rudder box setups for a couple of Careels and I gather their prices are usually pretty good. You'd end up with a dagger rudder instead of a swinging one.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:07 am

Mr trotter already has a yatchworks dagger board rudder ... but only for special occasions :D

Cheers
byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

paul trotter

Postby paul trotter » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:23 pm

Sorry Max but Emu is right.

I got the whole assembly for $700 plus postage and I had to be patient.

I like my cruising rudder which is so much earier to handle on lazy trips.

Any other ideas?
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:13 pm

paul trotter wrote:I like my cruising rudder which is so much earier to handle on lazy trips.

I know what you mean. I miss the ability to just cruise into shallow water without needing to worry about depth (my old rudder had a self-releasing cleat). Can't do that with a dagger rudder, or at least not without a major redesign of the stock.

Any other ideas?

Nup, sorry. Fresh out.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

paul trotter

Postby paul trotter » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:34 am

That’s a bugger on the ideas front Max....no ideas out there.

I’ll ring the insurance guys who will probably ask for another quote.

I haven’t made a claim for 14 years so hopefully they are sympathetic!
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:40 am

paul trotter wrote:I’ll ring the insurance guys who will probably ask for another quote.

I haven’t made a claim for 14 years so hopefully they are sympathetic!

They should be sympathetic given it was accidental damage. I put a long gouge in the hull of my boat during launching thanks to a broken weld on the trailer that I hadn't spotted. I put in an insurance claim, they told me to get a quote... long story short, I got one entire side of the boat resprayed and all it cost me was the excess. Since then I've been hoping a weld might break on the other side! :D
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:28 pm

Here's an idea !!

use your dagger board rudder ... put a mark on the rudder that tells you when the bottom of the rudder is
inline with or slightly above the bottom of the skeg ...

this way you can sail or motor into shallow water and not be scared of it hitting the bottom
and still have some steerage. knuckles uses this method with his very expensive carbon fibre rudder

I find that the swing rudder becomes so heavy to steer when it is raised into the horizontal position

Having said that i ran aground with my dagger board rudder fully down and all it did was slide up through the stock.
not that i would like to keep doing that.

cheers
byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

paul trotter

Postby paul trotter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:43 pm

I had a good chat with Suncorp Metway who took my excess. It looks like it will be an insurance claim so maximum $250 damage!

Woohoo!
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:40 pm

:-BD :-BD

:party:
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"

(Dr Strangelove)

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:06 am

paul trotter wrote:I had a good chat with Suncorp Metway who took my excess. It looks like it will be an insurance claim so maximum $250 damage!

Woohoo!

happy days ...

My insurance claim for Skye Mist went through ok in the end

My excess was only $100 ... would have been very expensive without it

Cheers
byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:51 pm

That's a ridiculous amount of money Trotts for cheek repair/replace. I'd think exxy if it were to replace the whole box.
Good thing insurance is covering. I would've been happy to knock you one up myself for 1K.
How are the gudgeons, etc, any other damages ?

Certainly I've had both systems however, I agree with Byrdie's comments & much prefer a dagger blade rudder system over the swing myself, no question.
I use an easy & quick sighted height marker on occasion (similar to Knuckles) to know depth when reversing in shallows or simply remove blade altogether. I'll guarantee, that if you find the bottom once or twice you'll be a lot more weary in the future especially in murky water. Of course, don't forget many swings have & are operated with a lock down. I'll wager that many touch bottom before owners realise & release that lock down allowing the blade to swing up hopefully before they were reversing into the shallows.
A dagger system provides a lot more accurate steerage with far less flexing from its extra supportive box in comparison to that of the swing which flexes generally to greatly from its pivot for my liking creating a hell of a lot more pressure to both blade & open back box.
Yachtworks make a pretty decent product with their dagger rudders but, the ones that I know have been fitted to a couple of 18's are simply a bit to oversized for the task plus heavy for the boat in my opinion. Of course, they will & do work well but, have got to be more cumbersome as after all they were made for Castle 650's, a larger boat.
Another benefit to the rudder system that I've always done to my 18's is to cut length off (shorten up) the Teller & fit a longer Teller Extension as this provides extra roominess to the cockpit making tacking or whatever so much easier. I generally have cut it back so that when folded back up or lifted vertically just meets the push & can be either tied or clipped back out of the way.
Don.

paul trotter

Postby paul trotter » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:41 pm

Post script

The man ‘Craig’ at CIN Fabrication did a great job and she is now installed on Nellie and performed well on her first mission. It all looks very shiny and new!

Suncorp have been a little slow processing my reimbursement but I’m sure they will come good. A happy ending!
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472

Return to “Technical Articles”