C18 Lines and sliding hatches

Pigsy
Land Lubber

C18 Lines and sliding hatches

Postby Pigsy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've owned my Careel 18 C175 for almost 3years now, she was reportedly unnamed when I bought her - and will be christened in the coming year.
She had a sliding hatch fitted by the previous owner, but the running of the lines was never upgraded.

I'm wanting to see how others have run their lines around the sliding hatch on the C18 - I note there is a previous post from last year, but the pictures don't seem to be viewable any longer. I've seen a few pictures of some custom fab designs across the forums, but was wanting to see what my options were.

Cheers.

maxm
Old Fart

Re: C18 Lines and sliding hatches

Postby maxm » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi Pigsy and welcome to the site!

I can't help much with C18 photos but I'm sure others will be along soon.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:15 pm

G/day Pigsy,

I can well & truly understand your want & need for running adjustable lines back to the outside rear top of cab on an 18 where especially a slide hatch exists. May I ask however, what to you best intend to do with the boat, for eg, either cruise, race or bit of both ?

Do you want all systems eg: vang, cunningham, main & hd/sail halyards adjustment lines on both sides of boat or only some of these to one side ? If particularly chasing extra performance I'd be doing both sides which will work out almost double the cost/work for you but, know that its very worthwhile & not that exxy really speaking. Again, if chasing improved performance you may also like to factor in & relocate your sheet angle for jib hd/sail in closer to centreline of boat as well. Of course, a full sized Genoa will not fit inside the sidestays but, a purpose built smaller genoa (or cut down full size) will & its larger than the standard jib. A good number of especially racing types are doing this now for the greater all round benefits ?
Personally, I've done a number of these conversions to 18's now or explained to boat owners how to. I'd argue against the need for an 18 to actually require anything else up front with regard to headsails these days other than the now proven smaller genny ! Only possible exception being long distant downhill race courses /work where the larger upfront would pay dividends.
Don.

Mango
Ensign

Postby Mango » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi Don, having raced my Mark 1 "Mango Madness" in the Nationals and Bay2Bay I'm very keen to implement the improvements you suggest. I can see it would make a world of difference when pointing against the wind. I don't have the tools or expertise to do the sliding hatch and CAR tracks myself, is there someone near Sydney who can do the work? Thanks John

don47
Old Fart

Postby don47 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:43 am

Hi John.
Yes, there would be & are plenty of suitably qualified around the Sydney region that can install a slide hatch & fit other required by you.
Whoever does the work/s (even could be Old Vern) needs to make sure that matters are addressed & also strengthened appropriately especially to the more lightly constructed mk1.
A slide hatch kit can be made plus either fitted or delivered for you to by Seaton Reynolds who built most of the boats (he's now at Gloucester). I recently purchased a couple of hatches from him myself to install into a couple of quality C18 that have come my way & that I'm refurbishing here.
Don.

Return to “Technical Articles”