Trailer for Careel 18

fair winds
Petty Officer

Trailer for Careel 18

Postby fair winds » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:54 pm

HI,

I have been researching new trailers for Linda Lass. My current trailer is a 1985 model Tracer and I think it could be the original with the boat. The rust is becoming a concern.
I would appreciate any advice regarding potential manufacturers and useful designs. I have chased up Dunbier, Tracer and Felk trailers for quotes and found that the prices vary in the $1000s. They recommend non-tilt multi roller designs.

thanks,

Mark

Luka
Old Fart

Re: Trailer for Careel 18

Postby Luka » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:26 pm

I replaced my Mark 3 Tracer trailer in September.
Althoug it was in excellent condition, I found that the load rating was under what is required for a Mark 3 even without packing of provisions.
That's despite it being the original trailer. I suspect it was designed for a Mark 1 but never upgraded as the boats got heavier.
Regarding tilt, no-one I spoke to had a tilt model or was prepared to make one.
In the end I got a rigid 1500 GTM (Trailer + Load) rated 14" wheel trailer from a local manufacturer near me, Trailer City at Rydalmere (if you're in Sydney).
I spoke to another Careeler a while back about trailers and he told me that he took his fully laden Mk3 over a a weigh bridge once and it was around 1400kg so the 1500 model is spot on. Careel.com says that trailer + boat is 1200kg for a Mk3, have a look at your trailer plate, I bet it says GTM 1050kg
My recollection is that Trailer City had a standard 18ft trailer that was about $3500 on road? I got a wider chassis and some other extras coming to around $4500.
They were very helpful and I'd recommend them to anyone. It trailed to Queensland beautifully and I've had little issue launching and retrieving on the rigid although I have not been to a very shallow ramp yet. The old tilt mechanism was easier but if you can't get it then that's that.
Luka
C18-466 / Druthers

fair winds
Petty Officer

Postby fair winds » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks for the info,

I had a look at the Trailer city Rydalmere website and spotted a photo in the "In stock" section of a 18 foot trailer - is it similar to your trailer? Do you have a photo of your trailer? I will give them a call and check them out.

FYI Dunbier have quoted around $4,300 Incl GST + Rego for their R5.3-14B model (1650kg rated). A local (Newcastle) manufacturer quoted around $4000 for a registered 17 foot trailer, 1400kg rated.

Mark

byrdsworth
Old Fart

Postby byrdsworth » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:04 pm

My Mk 111 has the original tracer trailer ... just checked ... is stamped 1050 ATM

Considering the boat was made in 1988 it has held up very well and would suspect that the rating is probably under what it actually is.
Possibly could get the rating upped if required .

This tracer trailer is so much stronger and heavier than my old my original mk 1 trailer that "The Byrd" was on.
It was actually rated higher than the tracer trailer ... so go figure ...

Don't think I will be upgrading any time soon ...

Cheers
Byrds
C18 #457 "Skye Mist"

Luka
Old Fart

Postby Luka » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:46 pm

Yes that's it, with a few differences.
( http://www.trailercity.com.au/Automotiv ... tails.aspx ).
My centre rollers are doubles. Initially I got a "ladder roller" set with seven evenly spaced rollers instead of the 3 single centre rollers, note the front centre roller is a double. Only to find out that the skeg has a slight curve in it so I had it changed to 3 pairs of doubles so I could adjust the heights individually.
The two rocking arms with 6 rollers each were deleted, no use when our hull curves upward.
Metal instead of plastic guards, mainly so the boat could sit lower on trailer so I could get into my garage.
The winch is a different model now.
I added a spare wheel and bracket for spare.
6 inch wider frame, again so boat would sit lower on trailer.

PS
Regarding increasing trailer rating, I spoke to Tracer trailers about uprating my old trailer rating if I went to 14 inch wheels and new undercarriage, they basically didn't want to know anything about it. Would need to replace whole under carriage,(~$1500) remove all traces of rust so was as new (say$500) and have a new engineers certificate for the upgrade (~$1200). By then you will have spent almost as much as a new trailer. I got $1300 on Gumtree when I sold my very good condition Tracer Trailer.
Luka
C18-466 / Druthers

paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

Postby paul trotter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:16 pm

Trailers.....Errrrrr

Just upgrading the undercariage for my Mark 3.

Removing those 9inch play wheels, suspension and axle.

New 165/13 galv hubs with tyres rated to 670kgs each. Thats 1340kgs plus whatever goes on the tow ball. I think on long trips I'll pack the heavy stuff in the car?

I'm looking forward to this years Nats and cruise on that lake.....bring it on!
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

Return to “Technical Articles”