457 Skye Mist start of refurb, Phil Gray

Gray Matter
Petty Officer

457 Skye Mist start of refurb, Phil Gray

Postby Gray Matter » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:48 pm

Hi guys, 457 Skye Mist start of refurb. Started with big clean up both in and out. All new 100mm foam and upholstery, new battery, LED lighting and wiring etc. Table out and stripped, 6 coats of Epihanes varnish, 240 light sand between coats. Full topside wet sand with 1200, Dulon Poly Polish followed by Dulon 1&2 to finish and seal. Rig stripped and replaced most fittings and used Duralac on everything as it appears not to have been used previously and some serious corrosion taking place. All new standing rigging also.

Some photos on the link.
Cheers,

Phil G

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/phil379/library/

paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

Re: 457 Skye Mist start of refurb, Phil Gray

Postby paul trotter » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:41 pm

Phil,

She looks fantastic.

Tell us more about how you regenerated the gelcoat.
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

Gray Matter
Petty Officer

Postby Gray Matter » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:58 pm

Hi Paul, cheers for the message. Yea the old girl is coming up a treat. I used to have a vessel and aviation detail business and still import some top end products. Get a buzz out of making old boats look new again, kind of strange but that's what I enjoy. Thinking maybe I should post some photos and a blerb on how best to rejuvenate different surfaces for other Careel owners. Gelcoat is a very unique surface to work with and with the right process can literally be brought back almost as good as the day it was pulled from the mould.

Give me a few days and I will post some info that will hopefully assist some Careel owners bring back some bling :D Will catch up some time but for now back on-board the tug in Gladstone.

Cheers,

Phil G

maxm
Old Fart

Postby maxm » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:12 pm

YES PLEASE!

Especially if you've got some good ideas as to how to get out mould and/or gumtree stains.
Max
C22/54 "Katrina II"
Mitsubishi PC Challenger auto

"It could easily be accomplished viz a coppuder"
(Dr Strangelove)

Gray Matter
Petty Officer

Postby Gray Matter » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:18 pm

Hi guys, if you are interested in gelcoat restoration please have a look at this short video we did in Antibes France using Dulon on this Beneteau. With older boats like many of our Careels, wet sanding with 1200 first and then using Dulon Poly Polish Strong and then Dulon 1 and Dulon 2 will give amazing results.
Gelcoat can usually take a little careful sanding, you are not trying to take much material off but wanting to remove oxidised gelcoat and smooth the surface. A smooth surface reflects much more light (looks shiny) and is much easier to keep clean. The Dulon 1 and Dulon 2 give the final bling and UV protection which makes it last. To complete any polish job you also need the right tools. For gelcoat a rotary machine with variable speed is crucial. Need to apply Dulon poly Polish at between 900 and 1500 RPM using a quality wool pad. Finishing polishing should be completed with a softer wool/acrylic pad. I am always happy to discuss application and polishing 0438723474 More videos to follow, hope some of this info is helpful,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j20UFbfYSNQ

I cant seem to get the links to work here! If you like just go to http://www.dulon.com.au tabs on the left side "how to polish my boat"

Cheers

Phil G

! Message from: "maxm"
Link fixed

knuckles
Ensign

Postby knuckles » Sun May 24, 2015 6:26 pm

Looks great Phil.
It has come a long way since you picked it up
& im sure it will look like new in time

Knuckles