A day out in the Flyer

Vixen
Ensign

A day out in the Flyer

Postby Vixen » Wed May 18, 2011 9:04 pm

Cooper's take on the day.......We left home at about 8.15 this morning, drove up to Jacobs Well, rigged and launched and with the wind being S to SE we headed north. Took the lazy option and cruised on headsail alone, good breeze,we were easily loping along at 4/5 knots looking over our shoulders at the gathering rain clouds behind us. Luckily these went inland so missed us all day. 8) We got as far as Karragarra Island and decided that as we had the wind on our nose going back, we should run in our new motor. So, we motored all the way back, lovely motor i must say, was a pleasure to trundle along with it, not as much as sailing of course, but would have taken us hours of tacking to do that.

All told, a most pleasant day, Vixen had the helm for most of the sailing and i had it for the more boring bit whilst she took photo's( some of which will appear later no doubt) and have to state,again, that the new motor started and performed brilliantly. Now for the next day out.

Vixen
Ensign

Re: A day out in the Flyer

Postby Vixen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:13 pm

Yesterday.....I did the lady muck thing and took piccies while Coops sailed. That's how I came to be looking in just the right place when a big ray did a jump and bellyflop, and a turtle came up beside the boat for a look....poor Coops missed them both.

We set out from Jacobs Well and had a lovely sail up past Russell Island, between Karragarra Island & Macleay Island, and back down to Jacobs Well past Nth Stradbroke Island. It was warm, sunny and we left the marina on high tide and returned on low tide. Remembering getting stuck on sandbars with our friends in their catamaran last year, we took the bigger, deeper channels. We still saw one bloke run aground on a bar on the way back in.

I took heaps of pics but they are basically very alike the ones above so I'll just add a few

sail417
Old Fart

Postby sail417 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:22 pm

Good pictures Vixen, you did something that we all should do to some of our pic's in the future............i.e. appropriately crop them.

I must have a look through pic's that I didn't post because they really needed cropping.
CAREEL 18
1993 Falcon EBII XR6

rseydler
Old Fart

Postby rseydler » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:05 am

Is that a white fluffy dog on the pushpit?

Great pics!

Cooper
Old Fart

Postby Cooper » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:57 am

No, it is my beard, i stick it there so that it does not get in the way when sailing. :wink:
Last edited by Cooper on Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are like a slinky. They have no use whatsoever but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Vixen
Ensign

Postby Vixen » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:00 pm

Just to prove a point....see, it's on his face in this pic, not on the pushpit :D

Vixen
Ensign

Postby Vixen » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:06 pm

sail417 wrote:Good pictures Vixen, you did something that we all should do to some of our pic's in the future............i.e. appropriately crop them.

I must have a look through pic's that I didn't post because they really needed cropping.

hehe....good point about the cropping but they are really panorama's made out of 3 or 4 pics joined together, which is why longer and thinner than usual pics. But yes, I don't crop pics very often and I know they'd look much better if I did :D

paul trotter
Careel News Foreign Correspondent

Postby paul trotter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:32 pm

So how Mr Cooper and Vixen do we get you to some of our Careeling Events?

See my post in General Discussion regarding this issue and racing.

Nice shots of that part of the bay. Its been a while since I took a trip down to Slipping Sands and I think that might be a good winter cruising destination in 2012.

Great to see you are enjoying the flyer.

Cheers
Paul Trotter
Nellie C18/472
Vice Commodore North CCYA

Cooper
Old Fart

Postby Cooper » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:11 pm

Have replied to your post in general discussion, as it deserved one, hopefully we will get to one, we shall see. 8)
Some people are like a slinky. They have no use whatsoever but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Return to “Gallery”